Brewtimes - Mountain Range IPA

Hi Team,

I have a Mountain Range that's been brewing for 7 days (including propagation) so far, but I'm heading to Japan on Friday fora  week. It was a bit reckless to chuck a longer brewtime kit on considering the timeframe, but I foolishly expected it to come through a bit sooner so I could keg prior to leaving.

Assuming it's still not at dry-hopping stage by the time I leave on Friday morning, do you pro's see any issues with just putting the DH in before I leave, letting it do it's thing and telling it to proceed with dry hopping and then and then putting it into storage mode remotely for a week until I get back?  

Definitely leave it in the droid and let it go into storage instead of kegging. good question about the hops. You will definitely get a very strong steep if you leave the hops in for a week. Could be good to try if you like bitter beers. Storage temperature usually does get a slower release of hop flavours (like how cold brew coffee takes all night in the fridge, but hot coffee takes a couple of minutes). The mountain range, from what I remember, is a very ballsy beer already. The pro of this method is that it will be completely done and ready to keg when you're back home. I think I once left a bohemian lager with the hops in on storage for like a month. It was bitter but still a very nice beer.

Personally I probably would put it in storage and wouldn't chuck the hops in until I get back. I would bring it back up to kegging temp, put the hops in for 24hrs, put it back in storage for a day or 2 to cold crash and then keg/bottle it, same process as the dry hop function but done manually. The downside of this is it extends the amount of time until it's done, the benefit is that you can have full control.

Either way, you won't ruin the beer, so don't stress too hard.

Edited by Gillies Brewing
  • Upvote 2

On 25/09/2024 at 3:03 PM, Gillies Brewing said:

Definitely leave it in the droid and let it go into storage instead of kegging. good question about the hops. You will definitely get a very strong steep if you leave the hops in for a week. Could be good to try if you like bitter beers. Storage temperature usually does get a slower release of hop flavours (like how cold brew coffee takes all night in the fridge, but hot coffee takes a couple of minutes). The mountain range, from what I remember, is a very ballsy beer already. The pro of this method is that it will be completely done and ready to keg when you're back home. I think I once left a bohemian lager with the hops in on storage for like a month. It was bitter but still a very nice beer.

Personally I probably would put it in storage and wouldn't chuck the hops in until I get back. I would bring it back up to kegging temp, put the hops in for 24hrs, put it back in storage for a day or 2 to cold crash and then keg/bottle it, same process as the dry hop function but done manually. The downside of this is it extends the amount of time until it's done, the benefit is that you can have full control.

Either way, you won't ruin the beer, so don't stress too hard.

This  ☝️

Exactly what I was going to say.

• 3 weeks later...