Dry hop filter

Hi all. I sanitised my droid with a cleanse tablet (including tap) before I started the brew I’m about to bottle. But it’s my first brew and as such I haven’t sanitised the dry hop filter. As it’s still packaged and hasn’t ever been used do I need to sanitise it before I bottle? The 101 videos for bottling say the other bottling equipment (wand, bottles etc.) don’t need to be sanitised before first use but I can’t find anything about the dry hop filter. 

Edited by Big Josh

• Big Josh changed the title to Dry hop filter
15 hours ago, Big Josh said:

Hi all. I sanitised my droid with a cleanse tablet (including tap) before I started the brew I’m about to bottle. But it’s my first brew and as such I haven’t sanitised the dry hop filter. As it’s still packaged and hasn’t ever been used do I need to sanitise it before I bottle? The 101 videos for bottling say the other bottling equipment (wand, bottles etc.) don’t need to be sanitised before first use but I can’t find anything about the dry hop filter. 

Hi @Big Josh I would definitely sanitise it before using it. At a minimum, I would give it a good cleaning to remove anything left over from manufacturing, any oils, micro plastics, etc.

What I do to sanitise/clean the dry hop filter is to attach it to the Droid when you are emptying the Droid Cleansing liquid into the sink and that way it will clean/sanitise it at the same time.

I also like to keep a large'ish (1 litre) container/jar of StellarSan (sanitiser) and before I use the dry hop filter, I just put it into the container for 5 minutes or so.

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I ended up giving it a thorough clean with hot water as that was the best I could do at the time. Cracked the first bottle last night from the brew and it certainly doesn't taste like it's been affected! Was delicious. But I'll definitely make sure I sanitise it each time from now on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2