Bottling into glass Coopers Ale screw top bottles?

Hi,

Is there any way to re-use my old Coopers Pale Ale 375ml bottles with the screw top?

Curious to know if sanitizing and re-using the bottles and metal screw tops will work or if they're no longer air-tight. Anyone tried this?

Cheers!

Edited by Willy Weizenbier

40 minutes ago, Willy Weizenbier said:

Hi,

Is there any way to re-use my old Coopers Pale Ale 330ml bottles with the screw top?

Curious to know if sanitizing and re-using the bottles and metal screw tops will work or if they're no longer air-tight. Anyone tried this?

Cheers!

Hey Willy, welcome to the forum.

Yep you can use the old screw type bottles, I have a few oof the pale and pacific pale in my collection. I use a bench bottle capper like this

image.jpeg.db14087dbe74624101a55e1c64bf5ff6.jpeg

You can use those perfectly well, just need a bottle opener. If you have kept the old screw top lids, you can re use those as well (sanitise, let dry) and screw them on hard, either way works

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I did not know this. I've never bothered to save screw cap bottles because I didn't think they could be reused. Frankly, by now I've got a few hundred regular crown cap bottles in reserve, so I don't need to save any more, but it's still handy info to have.

Slainte!

• Upvote 1

I have been advised that the 12-oz. twist-off (screw-top) bottles were unsafe (to re-use) due to weakness of the glass.  If you over-prime them a little bit, they can explode.  Longnecks, which are crown-capped, are made of thicker glass.  It may be that Aussie-made screw-top bottles are more robust.

Many years ago, I did have a bad experience with a batch of cider bottled with twist-off caps.  After that, I bought a hydrometer and acquired better bottles.  But I had a pantry with shards of glass embedded in the drywall.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Thagomizer said:

I have been advised that the 12-oz. twist-off (screw-top) bottles were unsafe (to re-use) due to weakness of the glass.  If you over-prime them a little bit, they can explode.  Longnecks, which are crown-capped, are made of thicker glass.  It may be that Aussie-made screw-top bottles are more robust.

Many years ago, I did have a bad experience with a batch of cider bottled with twist-off caps.  After that, I bought a hydrometer and acquired better bottles.  But I had a pantry with shards of glass embedded in the drywall.

They are thinner in the neck

• Upvote 1