Order of ingredients

Sam,

Welcome to the forum.  Always feel free to ask questions.  There are many of us who will help.

While it is optimal to add the yeast first, adding it last - as we usually do with conventional liquid ingredients - will not kill your brew.  At worst, it might take a day or two longer to finish.  The elements and enhancers crumble into smaller blobs pretty fast and dissolve.  Then the yeast will go to work.  Use the light in the observation panel to see the roiling activity and you will have no doubts.

Happy brewing.  😀

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone have a specific order they use (other than yeast)? I find myself adding the hopped elements first and the least flavorful enhancers last on the theory that if it overflows whatever I add last is what's going to be pushed out.

Although the dark sugary mess that overflowed from the Polski Baltic Porter shows it probably doesn't matter in the end.

@Wolf

After starting with the yeast, I tend to add elements, then enhancers - usually in numerical order.  I don't think it makes any difference, however.  I just want to make sure I don't forget an ingredient.

When I am brewing a non-BrewPrint with HME's, LME's and DME's, I first dissolve all the liquids in room temperature filtered water by stirring with a sanitized plastic mash paddle, Then I add the yeast.  If there are DME's, I add them after the yeast is thrown.  Any DME's will dissolve on top of the yeast about like elements and enhancers do in a BrewPrint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/01/2023 at 9:04 AM, Wolf said:

Does anyone have a specific order they use (other than yeast)? I find myself adding the hopped elements first and the least flavorful enhancers last on the theory that if it overflows whatever I add last is what's going to be pushed out.

Although the dark sugary mess that overflowed from the Polski Baltic Porter shows it probably doesn't matter in the end.

I have a strict order of ingredients that I put in according to a strict order....I haven't done it yet but the plan is there :)

Seriously though, I asked this same question a few years back and the answer was 'No, just don't pour the ingredients in too quickly" and that is great advice

13 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

I have a strict order of ingredients that I put in according to a strict order....I haven't done it yet but the plan is there :)

Seriously though, I asked this same question a few years back and the answer was 'No, just don't pour the ingredients in too quickly" and that is great advice

plume.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

On 13/01/2023 at 7:11 AM, Rob Courtney said:

It is more than "just don't pour the ingredients in at once."  Fogging up the BeerDroid top surfaces by rapidly dumping elements and enhancers can cause problems.  First of all, the powders accumulate on the edges of the droid and can stick like glue when you later want to open the lid.  I have had to use a pry-stick to get the lid open when this happens.  Lately, I smear a light coating of silicone lubricant, not silicone sealer. on the edges of my droid.  This works well.

Of course, wiping down the edges with a damp (disinfectant infused) paper towel or cloth picks up these sticky residues and also helps.  Just keep it all sterile.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2