Top End Lager

Rob Courtney

When I was in Tasmania, I tried an XPA that was 3.5% and it wasn't too bad and it made me want to give a beer  a go, I haven't brewed. At 3.5% I thought it was at least worth a shot.

When it came due for hops I went a little stronger than the 10gms of hallertau that is suggested and went 10gms each of Hallertau and Lemondrops. Not quite 3 weeks in and I have tried a stubbie, no head retention at all (may have been the glass) but carbonation is fine.

It looks watery and really doesn't have a strong taste to it outside of the hops but it is a... well mid strength beer. I can see it being a good beer to neck on a really hot day though, the hops give the beer something to work with .

Next time I have one, in a week or two I will take a photo

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I sweare I will post a photo but I'm pretty big on "Yeah, won't do this again". I mean it'd be a fine 35 degree beer because you could knock a bunch of pints off and still get up at 6am the next morning and function.

Outside of that though, not a huge amount to recommend it, maybe go Citra as the hop, maybe?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So 8 weeks in with this one now and it is probably at its best. I reckon it improves with the right hops choice but i am struggling at present to make that call.

As I have said, good hot weather drinking, if the waether was above 35 (about 100f) then I think this beer has its place. For me though, it is a little watery and in this mild summer I have had, doesn't quite hit the mark.

In saying that though, if you hold it against the spate of mid/4% low carb beers that have come out in the last 2-3 years, it stands up OK

• Upvote 1

On 24/03/2023 at 11:35 PM, Rob Courtney said:

So 8 weeks in with this one now and it is probably at its best.

Bad call, really bad call.

Needed one more week, it's actually pretty good now, like really improved. Still think the hot weather call is spot on, if only I had some decent weather to guage it against

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...