Gonna Try Something

Hey guys, I'd appreciate some input on this. Thus far I haven't done any real experimenting. I figured it's time to get my feet wet, and figured I'd start simple. I'm going to take another run at an English Bitter using the E2, E2, E3, X3, Y2 recipe. My wife loves the style and my first batch came out very well. Now I'm thinking about another batch, adding a single H7 to enhance the biscuity malty flavor. Thoughts anyone?

2 hours ago, Steve Gyldenvand said:

Hey guys, I'd appreciate some input on this. Thus far I haven't done any real experimenting. I figured it's time to get my feet wet, and figured I'd start simple. I'm going to take another run at an English Bitter using the E2, E2, E3, X3, Y2 recipe. My wife loves the style and my first batch came out very well. Now I'm thinking about another batch, adding a single H7 to enhance the biscuity malty flavor. Thoughts anyone?

Adding H7, (Challenger), to English Bitter should work well and bring out the biscuity aroma you are seeking.  Since Y2 performs well with bittered beers, it should support strengthening the hops in the recipe.

Let us know how it comes out.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Thagomizer said:

Adding H7, (Challenger), to English Bitter should work well and bring out the biscuity aroma you are seeking.  Since Y2 performs well with bittered beers, it should support strengthening the hops in the recipe.

Let us know how it comes out.

Thag you very much, I will.

• 2 weeks later...

Started this one in the droid yesterday. Will add the hops when appropriate, of course. I'll give an initial update after 2 weeks in the bottle, and follow up after a month or so. My original batch of this beer without hops was a real winner, and after 11 weeks, I find that I'm down to 2 bottles, which I'll hang onto for a direct comparison to the hopped version.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2023 at 9:01 AM, Steve Gyldenvand said:

Started this one in the droid yesterday. Will add the hops when appropriate, of course. I'll give an initial update after 2 weeks in the bottle, and follow up after a month or so. My original batch of this beer without hops was a real winner, and after 11 weeks, I find that I'm down to 2 bottles, which I'll hang onto for a direct comparison to the hopped version.

Bottled today, so of course I poured a taste, and it gives every indication of being a winner. Watch for updates.

• 3 weeks later...

It's pretty early yet, but I'm going to call this a success. Just 17 days in, so it's got some maturing to do, but I just poured one and I'm very pleased. It has that smooth maltiness of an English Bitter, with a slightly more bitter finish than the original recipe. Don't let that dark color fool you; this is a beautifully balanced, smooth drinking beer. I'd call this a session beer if there ever was one. 

I'm going to give this one another 2-3 weeks, then do a straight-up comparison with the original, un-hopped version. I'll report at that time.

IMG_4427 2.jpeg

• Upvote 1