Addition of DME to a brewprint?

Beamy

Hi all, I've got back into home brewing after a 30 year hiatus.  My how things have changed!!  Grew up watching  Grandma brew in a plastic bin liner, in a rubbish bin covered by a tea towel, placed under the rainwater tank outside.  In my 30's, enjoyed brewing with my father-in-law using can & kilo kits but it was still VERY basic.  'Dad' turned 96 yesterday and only gave up brewing in his late '80's 🙂 

Having returned, I put down a few brews using the basic air lock fermenter and managed to get a kegerator, some 19lt corny kegs & fermzilla; during this, a mate gifted me a used beerdroid.  So I have plenty of options 🙂 and I've made 2 x brews with brewprints but still letting them bottle condition.  I've not yet kegged a brew from a beerdroid.

I'm about to put down a Coopers Sparkling Ale (my favourite commercial brew) using brewprints and I would like to keg it to a corny.

I may try and force carbonate this brew because an old mate visits 2nd weekend of May and would naturally like to pour him a few out the kegerator haha.

Sorry if it's a silly question but should I just stick to the brewprint recipe or could I add a little DME seeing that there will be no time to condition it? 

Apologies if I've waffled on... Thanks and look forward to learning much and drinking much...

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Beamy said:

Hi all, I've got back into home brewing after a 30 year hiatus.  My how things have changed!!  Grew up watching  Grandma brew in a plastic bin liner, in a rubbish bin covered by a tea towel, placed under the rainwater tank outside.  In my 30's, enjoyed brewing with my father-in-law using can & kilo kits but it was still VERY basic.  'Dad' turned 96 yesterday and only gave up brewing in his late '80's 🙂 

Having returned, I put down a few brews using the basic air lock fermenter and managed to get a kegerator, some 19lt corny kegs & fermzilla; during this, a mate gifted me a used beerdroid.  So I have plenty of options 🙂 and I've made 2 x brews with brewprints but still letting them bottle condition.  I've not yet kegged a brew from a beerdroid.

I'm about to put down a Coopers Sparkling Ale (my favourite commercial brew) using brewprints and I would like to keg it to a corny.

I may try and force carbonate this brew because an old mate visits 2nd weekend of May and would naturally like to pour him a few out the kegerator haha.

Sorry if it's a silly question but should I just stick to the brewprint recipe or could I add a little DME seeing that there will be no time to condition it? 

Apologies if I've waffled on... Thanks and look forward to learning much and drinking much...

Hi Beamy, welcome to the forum. I'd stick to the Brewprint on this one, it'll give you an idea of what they provide, honestly you will be happy with the results 

36 minutes ago, Beamy said:

Thank you for your advice and quick reply, Rob.  Cheers, Scott.

All good mate. It is a pretty good forum with some experienced homebrewers and some of us who got into it when we were gifted a Beerdroid from a wife/relation who thought "you don't drink enough beer"

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Welcome Beamy! I'm fairly new here myself, and I can assure you that your questions and comments will be well received. I was also given a droid. I started my first batch on New Year's Eve, and yesterday I started my 13th. As for the Cooper's Sparkling Ale, my first run of that brew is now 9 weeks in the bottle, and it's a real winner. Personally, I went a bit heavy on the primer when I bottled, to accentuate the whole "sparkling" aspect, and I've got an exceedingly effervescent beverage as a result. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Edited by Steve Gyldenvand
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Steve... I'm looking forward to sampling the Sparkling Ale.  I bottled some, six weeks ago and I'm trying to be patient to give it time to condition in the bottle and the brew I put down last night will go in a keg, so it'll be good to compare the results.  Cheers, Scott.

• Upvote 1