Brewing with Liquid HME's and LME's

I just launched a stout made of Mr. Beer ingredients.  It was pretty simple:

·         Two cans of Mr. Beer’s St. Patrick’s Irish Stout

·         11.5g of Safale US-05 yeast

·         25g Mt. Hood dry hops (to be added when summoned)

I added about 8L of filtered room temperature water to the droid.  Then I stirred in both cans of the HME until the (previously sterilized) mash paddle came up clean.  I.e., there was no boiling.  Then I topped off the droid to 10L, tossed in the sterilized Tilt 2 hydrometer device and sprinkled on the yeast.  The OG reported by the hydrometer was 1.05.

I set the droid on Custom then chose:

·         Propagate      72°F

·         Ferment         62°F

·         Keg                 64°F

·         Store               39°F

·         Dry hop?        Yes

This is not the first time that I have modified Mr. Beer ingredients to fit the BeerDroid.  It is a matter of scaling a 2-gallon recipe up to a 2.6-gallon recipe.  Usually, a few packets of LME can bring the OG up to an acceptable level.  This is the first time I have overloaded the recipe with two cans of HME.  I will report on the results.  (There will be an overflow bag taped to the droid just under the vent.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Could you also scale down the liquid content? Some of the brewprints call for less than 10L of water.

I looked up the full list of Mr Beer kits and I'm jealous of the range available in the US, I'm keen to make a Marzen but we can't get that kit from Coopers.

12 hours ago, Wolf said:

Could you also scale down the liquid content? Some of the brewprints call for less than 10L of water.

I looked up the full list of Mr Beer kits and I'm jealous of the range available in the US, I'm keen to make a Marzen but we can't get that kit from Coopers.

Some brewprints call for 9L of water because an extra vigorous krausen is expected and might overflow unless there is sufficient headspace.  However, somewhat less than 9L will cause problems.  The BeerDroid has two temperature sensors: one is placed low, and the other is high.  The program determines the start and end of fermentation according to the comparison of these temperatures.  If the liquid level is lower than the top sensor, there will be an error and the procedure will be interrupted.

To make your Marzen brew, I suggest contacting Liam at BrewArt to see if he has a Marzen clone recommendation that you could brew from BrewArt components in your droid.

😀 Happy brewing.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/07/2023 at 10:28 PM, Thagomizer said:

I just launched a stout made of Mr. Beer ingredients.  It was pretty simple:

·         Two cans of Mr. Beer’s St. Patrick’s Irish Stout

·         11.5g of Safale US-05 yeast

·         25g Mt. Hood dry hops (to be added when summoned)

I added about 8L of filtered room temperature water to the droid.  Then I stirred in both cans of the HME until the (previously sterilized) mash paddle came up clean.  I.e., there was no boiling.  Then I topped off the droid to 10L, tossed in the sterilized Tilt 2 hydrometer device and sprinkled on the yeast.  The OG reported by the hydrometer was 1.05.

I set the droid on Custom then chose:

·         Propagate      72°F

·         Ferment         62°F

·         Keg                 64°F

·         Store               39°F

·         Dry hop?        Yes

This is not the first time that I have modified Mr. Beer ingredients to fit the BeerDroid.  It is a matter of scaling a 2-gallon recipe up to a 2.6-gallon recipe.  Usually, a few packets of LME can bring the OG up to an acceptable level.  This is the first time I have overloaded the recipe with two cans of HME.  I will report on the results.  (There will be an overflow bag taped to the droid just under the vent.)

At 3 days the SG has dropped to1.038 and there has been no overflow.