Spreadsheet to show available brews from inventory.

Thagomizer

I saw an old post from David Lock (January 15, 2021) who was interested in an app that would show what could be brewed from the supplies on hand.

I had the same interest.  So, I created an Excel spreadsheet that would tell me at a glance what I could brew with what I had.  It is simple to use.  You only need to update the quantities in column B; these are the elements, enhancers and yeasts.  I did not include hops in this inventory because I only use pellet hops which I buy in bulk.  When a recipe calls for liquid hops, I substitute the nearest dry hop equivalent.

Columns C and D refer to the price and value of the ingredients.  Aussies will need to substitute their own prices, as those listed in my example inventory are current USA costs.  (The costs do not affect the use of the spreadsheet in determining availability of a recipe.)

Column F gives the verdict.  "Ready" if the inventory supports the recipe and "Short" if it does not.  Columns H through Z define the requirements of the recipes, while columns AA through AS are the logical comparisons between inventory and need.  You will see from my example that Belgian Strong Ale and Cooper's Special Old Stout are short by a few missing ingredients.

Users should probably not mess with columns H through AS unless you are adding a recipe.  Column B (Inventory) should get the most attention, while column C (Price) hopefully will not change too much.

To be effective, column B should be kept carefully updated.  This, of course, means that you will need to subtract items from column B when you launch a new brew and add items when you get a new shipment from BrewArt.

I have included all the recipes that have BrewPrints and added all those member contributions that I know of.  Let me know if I have missed any.  

🙂 Happy brewing.

BrewArt_Order_Guide_01.xlsx

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

@Mick Steele,  

Thanks for the correction.  I am uploading the version with the Julebryg Spiced Lager basic ingredients.  I guess I got distracted by the complications of the recipe and forgot the basic ingredients.  As brews are added, there will be several new versions.

BrewArt_Order_Guide_02.xlsx

Edited by Thagomizer
  • Like 1

I think it is a pretty cool spreadsheet.

I'm a bit boring usually and work out what I need to order to make like a dozen to 15 brews and then order it but...I do decide sometimes that I am not a fan of what I have left so then I muck around with the spreadsheet and try to make different brews, so this would be very handy.

It would be even more handy when you order after maybe 10 beers and muck it up and then are caught short too.

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

I'm a bit boring usually and work out what I need to order to make like a dozen to 15 brews and then order it but...I do decide sometimes that I am not a fan of what I have left so then I muck around with the spreadsheet and try to make different brews, so this would be very handy.

Another way to use this spreadsheet is to highlight your favorite brews and be sure they are always ready to go.  Then you prioritize ordering components to keep them ready.

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

I am considering changing my approach to tracking recipes and their ingredients.  It would be more useful to me to use the spreadsheet to see if I have what I need for a new fascinating recipe that has just come to my attention.  Adapting to this new paradigm is going to be tedious:  I will need to empty all my current "recipe boxes" and start a new system wherein Elements and Enhancers are separately grouped in their own boxes.  Yeasts and hops are already stored separately in the fridge.  Actually, this will simplify keeping my inventory.

Already, the spreadsheet has allowed a quick response to a resurrected recipe, Hoegaarden Wheat Clone, that recently became available.  (Sigh, I did have to order the dried orange peels. See the recipe.)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2