NEWBIE, botteling questions:

Good day everyone,

I have finally purchased a beerdroid and started my first brew. I had a few hiccups when I filled the beerdroid with the 10l of water after sanitizing. The water was leaking out of the plug at the bottom, I wrapped it in a piece of glad wrap and that sorted the problem out(I hope this will not effect the beer at all?) 

My first brew is the NEDERLAGER, now I have placed all the content in the beerdroid like the videos has shown. I received two pouches that is marked H3 that I take is the keg primer? and two cylindrical pouches that is only marked P.

Is both these items primer and for kegging only?

I have read that a few people put the primer in the beerdroid for 24hours before bottling.

If someone can please point me the right direction it will be much appriciated.

6 hours ago, Willem Bouwer said:

Good day everyone,

I have finally purchased a beerdroid and started my first brew. I had a few hiccups when I filled the beerdroid with the 10l of water after sanitizing. The water was leaking out of the plug at the bottom, I wrapped it in a piece of glad wrap and that sorted the problem out(I hope this will not effect the beer at all?) 

My first brew is the NEDERLAGER, now I have placed all the content in the beerdroid like the videos has shown. I received two pouches that is marked H3 that I take is the keg primer? and two cylindrical pouches that is only marked P.

Is both these items primer and for kegging only?

I have read that a few people put the primer in the beerdroid for 24hours before bottling.

If someone can please point me the right direction it will be much appriciated.

Hi Willem, welcome to the forum

The pouches with H3 on them are liquid hops, Hallertau to be precise and are the flavour you would find in say a Becks or Heinecken beer. This would be the one to put into the droid after it has reached "ready to keg" for 24-48 hours before bottling the brew.

The ones named "P" is a primer, basically sugar. This helps in secondary fermentation but if you are bottling your beer then I would not use it, you would be better off using carbonation tablets. You can find carbonation tablets at a local homebrew shop or at Big W, or Dans and probably Woolies. 

Secondary fermentation with Carb drops allows the beer to mature and carbonate it so it isn't flat. It is easier with carb drops to get an exact measure in the beginning of your brewing journey. 1 tab for bottles up to 375ml, 2 for 750 ml ( I do 1 for a Grolsch bottle which is 470mls, another guy here does 1.5, both are fine).

Then you put the cap on your bottle tightly after the beer and carb drops go in, put it away and wait.

Neder is a handy early drinker but part of your journey with brewing is to work how you enjoy your beer best. I was brought in with, try a couple at 2 week, 2 at 3, etc etc until you have finished and note the improvement/peak. The sweet spot is generally 8 weeks secondary but it is your choice.

Any questions at all, please ask, we all started in the same spot you are now

Below are what packs of carb drops look like

IMG_1732.jpg

• Upvote 1