Bottle immediately or wait?

Mike A

I've read a few threads on these forums, but I remain unclear on this question.  My first brew has just finished fermenting and the unit is in getting ready to keg mode.  Given I plan to bottle some into 3-4 PET 750mls & the rest into 330ml bottles & it's the Weissbier, should I?

1. Leave for a few days (i think this was more about avoiding foam if using brewflow & kegging)
  2. Put it into storage mode to "cold crash" reduce sediment in the brew
  3. Just bottle any time I have the time

Do you only need to cold crash "clear" beers?

Anyhow if someone could comment I would appreciate it!

THanks...

Edited by Mike A

8 hours ago, Mike A said:

I've read a few threads on these forums, but I remain unclear on this question.  My first brew has just finished fermenting and the unit is in getting ready to keg mode.  Given I plan to bottle some into 3-4 PET 750mls & the rest into 330ml bottles & it's the Weissbier, should I?

1. Leave for a few days (i think this was more about avoiding foam if using brewflow & kegging)
  2. Put it into storage mode to "cold crash" reduce sediment in the brew
  3. Just bottle any time I have the time

Do you only need to cold crash "clear" beers?

Anyhow if someone could comment I would appreciate it!

THanks...

Cold crashing isn't the be-all and end all.

I found with my first brew and I had it at 3ish weeks because why wait I thought "it's OK, it's beer I guess" but at the second glass I was all "it isn't too bad and for the price..."

By my 4th brew when I had my method a little more down pat, I made a brew (probably Belgian Lager) and I was like really happy. I believe the good wife got tired very quickly on how good I thought I was at making beer...

Anyways, please ask away, that is what we are here for, to talk beer and learn

• Upvote 2

Well all cleaned, sanitised, carbo dropped then bottle fill, got the droid going on it's next cycle working on Dusk Cerveza, sounded interesting.

Worked out, too late I didn't fully sanitise the bottle wand, hopefully as it's new it'll be fine, but yeah need to think it all through for next time.

Now I just hope not to get any bottle bombs.

I have a dregs bottle marked out, so will crack that in ~3ish weeks.  I believe Heffewisens are considered "young beers" anyhow, so may be drinkable by then.

I guess when I serve them up to the family at Christmas if I put the traveling ones in the esky & a bunch of ice for a couple days beforehand they'll in effect cold crash, just the remnant will be in the bottle.

So next question, should I consider anything different for the Cerveza?  I saw in the brewprint section how active this one brews & another possibly very foamy one.  I'm assuming it's another bottle immediately but more about leaving it for many more weeks for conditioning than the Weissbier. Or perhaps is it true of all the brewprint brews just immediately bottle?

Also If I do keg for the brewflow, I saw I think it was Captain 3 droids that the tip is to leave it 24+hrs in "kegging" to let it settle some more so you don't get it too foamy when taking from the keg.  Did I get that right? Or were these issues in effect fixed with the upgraded parts & flow control?

• Like 1