On 25/11/2023 at 4:55 PM, Nathan Damaso said:

I would like to try brewing a Neipa with some dried oat extract. Anyone had any experience or advice for a brewprint to use or modify? 

Hi Nathan, welcome to the forum and great question.

I tried to make some NEIPA/Hazies using ingredients to mixed success.

However, you're asking at the perfect time as a new product is about to be released (by Kegland) and a sneak peak was given by Gavin of the Home Brew Network Youtube channel... 

As someone who moved from Ingredients to all grain into the Droid, this really makes me happy if it works as advertised as it means less grains and adjuncts (oats, wheat, rye, etc. are adjuncts) into my brewery meaning I can use more malted barley to make even bigger beers.

Until this product is released, another video done by Gavin might help you as well as it's been copied by several other forum members...

• Thanks 1

On 28/11/2023 at 7:47 AM, Nathan Damaso said:

Great, I will have to keep an eye out for when it’s available. 
What are your thoughts on substituting the X2 ingredient (wheat extract) in a recipe for the oat extract? 
I have been looking at this recipe on the forums. 
E5 (x3), X2 (x3), Y2, D6, D7

Sorry @Nathan Damaso, I should have responded to your recipe as well.

I think your choice of Elements and Enhancers is good. Maybe even go E5 (x2) and X2 (x4) or E5 (x3) and X2 (x4) for a 7% beer.

The idea being you want approximately 75-80% base malt and 20-25% adjunct, which means when using the BrewArt Ingredients and Wheat being the only adjunct available in X2. As I'm not sure of the percentage of barley to wheat is in the X2, I'd go more X2 than E5. I suggest this to get that good stable haze.

In terms of Yeast, honestly I would suggest going to your local home brew shop (LHBS) or online and try the Lallemand LalBrew Verdant IPA yeast. This will bring some great esters, being citrus and tropical fruit to complement the choice of hops. This is a brilliant yeast for Hazies/NEIPAs, probably the best of all the dried yeasts because the esters it brings to a beer are so good, so juicy!

To the hops, D6 and D7, Citra and Galaxy, are a good choice. Maybe consider adding D8, Mosaic, to the mix as well and honestly, I'd double the amount, especially of Citra as 5g/l  (2x 25g packets of hops) isn't enough in my opinion, especially for Hazies/NEIPAs.

I know I go overboard with my hop usage with all grain brewing but I've found the sweet spot to be around the 10-15g/l however I know others quote the 7.5g/l figure so it does come down to personal preference.

I hope this helps and please, share with us the full experience with this brew and I'd suggest adding it to the Hazy IPA thread:

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2023 at 7:47 AM, Nathan Damaso said:

Great, I will have to keep an eye out for when it’s available. 
What are your thoughts on substituting the X2 ingredient (wheat extract) in a recipe for the oat extract? 
I have been looking at this recipe on the forums. 
E5 (x3), X2 (x3), Y2, D6, D7

Hey @Nathan Damaso just checking in to see how you went putting this together. In your Droid yet?

Hi @Wazza_wantsbeer , I just sat down to order all my ingredients. Kegland now has the oat extract available so I have ordered a bag of it and a packet of Verdant IPA yeast. 
I will be following your base recipe but tweaking it a little with the oats. 
So it’s 2x E5 and 3x X2, D6, D7, D8 for hops then make up the rest of the adjuncts with the oat extract. 
I have a couple of questions though. 
1. how much oat extract would you Recommend? I was thinking at least 100g. 
2. with the yeast Verdant IPA yeast, I ordered an 11g bag. Would I use the whole bag or halve it? 

14 hours ago, Nathan Damaso said:

Hi @Wazza_wantsbeer , I just sat down to order all my ingredients. Kegland now has the oat extract available so I have ordered a bag of it and a packet of Verdant IPA yeast. 
I will be following your base recipe but tweaking it a little with the oats. 
So it’s 2x E5 and 3x X2, D6, D7, D8 for hops then make up the rest of the adjuncts with the oat extract. 
I have a couple of questions though. 
1. how much oat extract would you Recommend? I was thinking at least 100g. 
2. with the yeast Verdant IPA yeast, I ordered an 11g bag. Would I use the whole bag or halve it? 

Hey @Nathan Damaso that looks good!

To answer each question:
1. I'd stick with the 100g as you're thinking for the first go and then you can adjust from there with subsequent brews
I've had a look on the Kegland website and it doesn't give usage recommendations so 100g to start with sounds good
2. I've tried halving the packages of dried yeast and honestly, it isn't worth the hassle plus, I found that fermentation was slower to start and therefore the brew took longer overall when compared to just chucking the whole pack so just go with the whole pack

Definitely make sure you select dry hop with this.

In terms of Fermentation Profile for your Droid, I'd go with a custom settings such as:
Propagation: 18°C, Fermentation 20°C, Kegging 16°C, Storage 3°C and Dry Hop YES

What I suggest doing, when you see plenty of activity, using the BrewArt App, bump up to 21°C and then when you see it slowing down, bump up to 22 or 23°C until Dry Hop notification. Then Dry hop and let that ride for the 2 days. Once you get end of fermentation notice and the Droid moves to Kegging, use the App again to move it to "Storage" for a 2 day cold crash. This will help settle out all the yeast trub and leave all the good haze in the beer.

If you're not keen about fiddling with temps during fermentation, then set the custom fermentation profile for a 21°C Ferment and you'll be good.

Good luck and keep on posting how things go.

@Wazza_wantsbeer, fermentation was quite vigorous last night before I went to bed and this morning too. I raised the fermentation temp to 21 this morning, and this afternoon fermentation temperature has slowed a little on the graph. I was thinking of giving it another 36 hours then upping the temp again to 22. 
It’s definitely got the haze through the viewing window, it’s getting hard to see the bubbles now if any. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Nathan Damaso said:

Thanks @Wazza_wantsbeer.

I still have a fair bit of oat extract left so I'm going to tweet the recipe next time. "Less wheat more Oats" and compare them. 

I'll post the results when I get around to brewing the next one. 

Sounds like a good plan.

Both oats and wheat will add to the haze but bring different characteristics to the final beer. The primary difference being a slightly fuller mouth feel and sweetness with Oats versus Wheat.

When I prepare my recipes, I used to try to have even quantities of each, that was until I found out that I am very gluten intolerant and I've stopped adding wheat in any form to my recipes/beer and stick with both malted oats and rolled oats.

The other thing you might want to start experimenting with are the hops. There's a whole world of hops out there that give very tropical fruit, citrus, melon, etc. flavours that are awesome in a Hazy/NEIPA.

And as you've seen with the Verdant yeast, there's a whole bunch of these worth trying but liquid yeast can be more expensive and I'd say not worth using for a 10l batch in the Droid, although I and others have definitely done so.

One yeast I would highly recommend, also from Lallemand, is Voss Kveik. It's a Norwegian farm yeast in origin that has some awesome properties, including fermenting hot and fast and adding some yummy orange flavour esters.

Cheers

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Tweaked the recipe cutting down on the wheat and increasing the oat extract. 
Just finished 2 weeks secondary fermentation and I had to give it a taste test. 
It’s delicious….. 

3x E5
2 x X2 
350g oat extract 
25g citra
25g mosaic
25g galaxy
Propagation: 18°C, Fermentation 20°C, Kegging 16°C, Storage 3°C and Dry Hop YES
Verdant IPA yeast 

Changed temp to 21oC at 2days 0h 
Changed temp to 22 oC at 3days 9h
Dry hopped at 4 days 0h