Leaky Keg Liner

Hi Brewart Gurus!

I'm getting leakage from one of my kegs. Beer is appearing in the gap between the keg wall and the liner. When I release the screw cap, beer foams out of it. I did see that one of my keg caps was leaking so I replaced it. Still happening, although not leaking as quickly. I have a second hand system, and I may need to replace some of the components where there has been deterioration.

Could the leakage be because the ambient temp is above 25 degrees C? I haven't been able to get it consistently below 28 or 29, because it's just so damn hot outside. I can't run aircons all day and night. Any tips or advice? My second keg is fine.

3 hours ago, Noob Droidy said:

Hi Brewart Gurus!

I'm getting leakage from one of my kegs. Beer is appearing in the gap between the keg wall and the liner. When I release the screw cap, beer foams out of it. I did see that one of my keg caps was leaking so I replaced it. Still happening, although not leaking as quickly. I have a second hand system, and I may need to replace some of the components where there has been deterioration.

Could the leakage be because the ambient temp is above 25 degrees C? I haven't been able to get it consistently below 28 or 29, because it's just so damn hot outside. I can't run aircons all day and night. Any tips or advice? My second keg is fine.

Hey ND. Don't release the keg cap. If it was me, I'd drink it at two weeks. It'd give you a good idea of the difference between one at that stage and the other that you drink later.

Tips i can think of is keeping them in your bathroom as that is the coolest are usually, maybe in the bath and add some water up most of the way on the keg

12 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Hey ND. Don't release the keg cap. If it was me, I'd drink it at two weeks. It'd give you a good idea of the difference between one at that stage and the other that you drink later.

Tips i can think of is keeping them in your bathroom as that is the coolest are usually, maybe in the bath and add some water up most of the way on the keg

Hey Rob. Thanks heaps for the tips. I will defs try them out. Ummm... a bit late for the keg release. I had to do something because there was beer coming out of the keg cap - i.e. getting past the seal. When I took the keg cap off, it literally fell apart. So I replaced it. No leaks out of the keg cap now. The joys of a pre-loved system lol. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Noob Droidy said:

Hey Rob. Thanks heaps for the tips. I will defs try them out. Ummm... a bit late for the keg release. I had to do something because there was beer coming out of the keg cap - i.e. getting past the seal. When I took the keg cap off, it literally fell apart. So I replaced it. No leaks out of the keg cap now. The joys of a pre-loved system lol. 

Hopefully, this might cheer you up.

One time, I added the primer before I started filling the keg.

Keg filled, all good. I am pretty methodical so I walk the keg out to the kitchen where I have everything else ready. Take off the filling cap turn around to get the keg cap and like a grade 6 science project, the keg turned into a volcano.

Kids loved it and cheered me as I tried to get the cap on. I reckon it's fair to say 3 litres of beer came out in the 10 seconds it took to get the cap on.

A lot of swearing that day, a lot.

On 22/12/2023 at 9:41 AM, Noob Droidy said:

Hey Rob. Kegs are enjoying a bath, hopefully at lower than the ambient 25-26 degrees in the bathroom. Cheers!

Kegs in Bath.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 22/12/2023 at 12:42 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Hopefully, this might cheer you up.

One time, I added the primer before I started filling the keg.

Keg filled, all good. I am pretty methodical so I walk the keg out to the kitchen where I have everything else ready. Take off the filling cap turn around to get the keg cap and like a grade 6 science project, the keg turned into a volcano.

Kids loved it and cheered me as I tried to get the cap on. I reckon it's fair to say 3 litres of beer came out in the 10 seconds it took to get the cap on.

A lot of swearing that day, a lot.

Hahahahahaha! At least the kids had fun. I like laughing at myself, especially when I do something really stoopid and I know it's all my fault for being a doofus. Have a good weekend, Rob. Merry Christmas if I don't hear from you before.

• Thanks 1