Carbonation drops

Hi Frank, that will depend on the drops of course, but I've generally found that most drops are going to recommend 1 drop in a 11-16 oz bottle, or 2 in the 750s. If you want to do more fine-tuning of carbonation, you can get smaller carb tablets, where you might use anywhere from 6-10 in a 750ml bottle. I try to keep both drops and tablets on hand so I have the option to experiment, and that's really what this homebrew thing is all about!

• Upvote 1

Only thing to add, if you're in Australia, then the coopers carb drops which can be found almost everywhere, are the same as the ones that came with the bottle kit, so 2 drops for those. When I say everywhere, I mean BigW, Dans & woolies as well as your local brew store.

As Steve says, there's other kinds out there, you'd have to check the packet or ask your local brew store before buying.

If you're getting friends to keep bottles for you, the tablets can be a good idea because they may have some 500ml bottles & breaking the larger lollies apart can be a bit of a chore.

• Upvote 2

You might also want to consider using Dextrose instead of the carb drops.

I personally preferred using them before I moved to kegging.

You can cheaply purchase from pretty much any local home brew store, a little measuring plastic tool that has three cups of various sizes that match the required amount of dextrose required to carbonate bottles of 390ml, 500ml and 750ml.

This link is just an example of the tool... https://www.thebrewshop.com.au/sugar-measure.html?source=google&medium=ppc&gclid=CjwKCAiA75itBhA6EiwAkho9e-I7qrRt3O1HT9ATVzlEnpR4hN_9zL_WYs1M7PzyKmP1oFlddNazqRoCs4cQAvD_BwE

Personally I found this tool easy to use and worked every time.

Cheers

sugar_measure.jpg.4faeaad7b46059b56979e60c5dd97bde.jpg

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer
  • Upvote 2