Hey,

Just question - I have seen in the forum a number of times people cold crashing their brews. 

Are there particular circumstances where you would do this? If there is any reason why it isn't part of the brew-print program (unless it is and I haven't had one yet). Why do we do this?

The storage program reduces the temp to 4 degrees, is this what people do to cold crash?

Thank you

Shaun

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Shaun Dennis said:

Hey,

Just question - I have seen in the forum a number of times people cold crashing their brews. 

Are there particular circumstances where you would do this? If there is any reason why it isn't part of the brew-print program (unless it is and I haven't had one yet). Why do we do this?

The storage program reduces the temp to 4 degrees, is this what people do to cold crash?

Thank you

Shaun

Hi Sean,

Cold crashing is a technique home brewers use to get a clearer beer. For normal brewers it is a process but for those of us with droids, put the beer into storage and you are cold crashing the beer.

Doing so allows the yeast to flocculate (clump together and fall down in the brew away from tap level...basically).

It kinda is part of the program, well is in dry hopped brews but as a standard, after 2 days the brew will go into storage. It stays at keg temp for 2 days I believe, to give a tiny bit of leeway if the brew is still slightly fermententing.

As a rule of thumb when I brew I add my hops at the end of fermentation, then let it go a day, put it into storage for a day and then I'll bottle, achieving the cold crash and a clearer beer. That is how I do it, I prefer to not use the dry hopping mode (it is just me and there is no reason that others should not do it)

TL/DR Make beer clear/storage is cold crash

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Hi Sean,

Cold crashing is a technique home brewers use to get a clearer beer. For normal brewers it is a process but for those of us with droids, put the beer into storage and you are cold crashing the beer.

Doing so allows the yeast to flocculate (clump together and fall down in the brew away from tap level...basically).

It kinda is part of the program, well is in dry hopped brews but as a standard, after 2 days the brew will go into storage. It stays at keg temp for 2 days I believe, to give a tiny bit of leeway if the brew is still slightly fermententing.

As a rule of thumb when I brew I add my hops at the end of fermentation, then let it go a day, put it into storage for a day and then I'll bottle, achieving the cold crash and a clearer beer. That is how I do it, I prefer to not use the dry hopping mode (it is just me and there is no reason that others should not do it)

TL/DR Make beer clear/storage is cold crash

Thanks Rob - makes sense :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1