Using Morgan's ingredients for Beerdroid.

https://aussiebrewmakers.com.au/xxxx-bitter/

^ This is ingredients for XXXX Bitter.

I'm aware that there is a brewprint available for a XXXX Gold type of clone. However, I want a XXXX Bitter clone which has a different taste compared to the Gold.

I'm curious to try Morgan's Queensland Bitter recipe. Reading up the process on how it's done is a lot different to how you do brewprint ingredients.

I'm wondering if I could ignore what is suggested and do the same process as I would with a brewprint. Just throw it all in and start a brew. Then add the hops in last. 

I'm aware the brew ingredients does up 22.5 litres. I was thinking to put half of the ingredients in one beerdroid and the other half of the ingredients in another beerdroid. I will still be 2.5 litres of water short but I don't think that will be a problem. 

As to the link I provided, a couple of steps in the instructions says to use boiling water to loosen up ingredients. I could do that in a separate container, wait for it to cool down, then add it in the beerdroid. 

Would this work or would this be a total fail?

Edited by Nick Seymour

7 hours ago, Nick Seymour said:

https://aussiebrewmakers.com.au/xxxx-bitter/

^ This is ingredients for XXXX Bitter.

I'm aware that there is a brewprint available for a XXXX Gold type of clone. However, I want a XXXX Bitter clone which has a different taste compared to the Gold.

I'm curious to try Morgan's Queensland Bitter recipe. Reading up the process on how it's done is a lot different to how you do brewprint ingredients.

I'm wondering if I could ignore what is suggested and do the same process as I would with a brewprint. Just throw it all in and start a brew. Then add the hops in last. 

I'm aware the brew ingredients does up 22.5 litres. I was thinking to put half of the ingredients in one beerdroid and the other half of the ingredients in another beerdroid. I will still be 2.5 litres of water short but I don't think that will be a problem. 

As to the link I provided, a couple of steps in the instructions says to use boiling water to loosen up ingredients. I could do that in a separate container, wait for it to cool down, then add it in the beerdroid. 

Would this work or would this be a total fail?

It would work, the 2.5 litres short would just mean a slightly higher alcohol level.

I'd boil water and lay the can down in a Tupperware sort of container. Leave it in there for 15-20 mins so the liquid inside becomes more viscous.

Pour boiling water in a pot, or stockpot and then add the liquid from the can into it and stir. Tilt the pot until you don't see the liquid from the can on the base anymore, a couple of mins. Whatever amount of boiling water you have put in the pot is to be taken away from what water you put in the droid so you get 10 litres. The cold water will offset the litre of hot water.

Switch the droid on and see what the temperature is, if it is high 30+, then start the lager program and wait for it to cool the water down to 22ish to put the yeast in.

Not sure what the recipe suggests for adding hops but you can do what they suggest or wait until EOF.

• Thanks 1

@Rob Courtney I never thought the water being less than what's required would raise the alcohol level. I consider it as a good thing as I was planning to add some extra dextrose to raise the alcohol level. 4.7 isn't enough in my terms when it comes to doing a brew. I want it to be around 5 percent at least but no higher than 5.5.

I will follow through what you said. It requires more work than doing the brewprints. I'm a bit hesitant about if its worth it. 

I like XXXX bitter when it used to be different. Not how it is now. These days the taste seems more watered down than it used to be and the alcohol level is only 4.4 percent. It used to be higher. 

• Upvote 1