BeerDroid cooling noise

Matt

Hi all,

Started my first brew (Deutsch Lager) yesterday afternoon and at 5am this morning the whole house was woken up when fermentation started.

I have the droid sitting out back of the house in the kitchen and can clearly hear the drone and vibrations (wife says there is a high pitch alarm type noise too but I haven't noticed that) from our master bedroom at the front of the house through multiple walls and even closed doors. I understand compressors can be noisy but was not expecting this level - can still hear the droning noise when I am out on the front lawn! Reminds me of the old bar fridge that was on it's last legs at my parents place.

Attached a couple of videos one from 5am then another when cooling kicked in again around 11am. Not sure if this is normal but if it is does anyone have any suggestions on dampening the noise a bit? Placed some washing machine pads under the feet but that hasn't done anything to help reduce it. The rattling seems like something that could be easily fixed by opening it up not keen on doing that to something brand new though.

Finally got the droid after sitting in my cart for a few months and excited to start brewing but not sure how I am going to smooth over randomly being woken up when cooling kicks in for a few hours at a time with the wife and kids.

Cheers

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Hi all,

Started my first brew (Deutsch Lager) yesterday afternoon and at 5am this morning the whole house was woken up when fermentation started.

I have the droid sitting out back of the house in the kitchen and can clearly hear the drone and vibrations (wife says there is a high pitch alarm type noise too but I haven't noticed that) from our master bedroom at the front of the house through multiple walls and even closed doors. I understand compressors can be noisy but was not expecting this level - can still hear the droning noise when I am out on the front lawn! Reminds me of the old bar fridge that was on it's last legs at my parents place.

Attached a couple of videos one from 5am then another when cooling kicked in again around 11am. Not sure if this is normal but if it is does anyone have any suggestions on dampening the noise a bit? Placed some washing machine pads under the feet but that hasn't done anything to help reduce it. The rattling seems like something that could be easily fixed by opening it up not keen on doing that to something brand new though.

Finally got the droid after sitting in my cart for a few months and excited to start brewing but not sure how I am going to smooth over randomly being woken up when cooling kicks in for a few hours at a time with the wife and kids.

Cheers

HI Matt,

that isn't normal, even in a weekend like this one with extremely high temps and the house sitting around 30 degrees, it kicks in for 10 minutes to cool the droid and then kicks off but not with that sort of noise, not even close. I mean I couldn't have it in my bedroom, that'd be annoying but mine is in the laundry in an old house but I don't hear it bein g in another room.

I'd advise contacting Brewart at info@brewart.com to see what they think.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply Rob appreciate it. Will contact them tonight.

Interesting that you mention yours only turns on for 10 minutes...  It is a bit cooler here in Perth this week (droid is showing ambient mid to high 20s) and the unit currently has a target of 12 degrees. From what I have noticed it has been kicking in for at least an hour every time it reaches 13 degrees or so to bring it back down to mid 11s.

Edited by Matt

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Thanks for the reply Rob appreciate it. Will contact them tonight.

Interesting that you mention yours only turns on for 10 minutes...  It is a bit cooler here in Perth this week (droid is showing ambient mid to high 20s) and the unit currently has a target of 12 degrees. From what I have noticed it has been kicking in for at least an hour every time it reaches 13 degrees or so to bring it back down to mid 11s.

Hi Matt,

Used a decibel app to get an idea of the noise of the unit. From 2 metres away (it is cooling at the moment, it was 39 decibels, which is described as a "quiet whisper" and standing in front of the unit was 48 decibels, and holding the phone right over the back of the unit brought it up to 59 decibels which once again, isn't loud, it's around a normal conversation level.

@Matt

Welcome to the Forum.  Sorry to see your initial experience involves a hardware problem.  This sound is definitely not normal.  I agree with Rob.  Contact BrewArt and they will fix you up.

Let me point out that this kind of problem is extremely unusual and BrewArt is famous for rapid response and satisfaction whenever there is an issue.

Also, the rest of us on the forum look forward to your future comments and descriptions of the brews you are going to make.

Happy brewing. 🙂

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks @Thagomizer and yes I was very happy to wake up to an email from Brewart this morning saying they would get a new unit sent out to me. Excellent service!

Wife agreed to put up with the noise for a week or so while the Deutsch Lager finished brewing which is great and hopefully by the time it's done a new unit will be on it's way so I can get another Brewprint going.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1