Best Before / Expiry Date?

9 hours ago, Willy Weizenbier said:

Hi,

Curious to know what sort of expiry date can be expected? I understand some beers will go bad faster than other styles, but would like to get a ballpark on how long a beer will hold a) in bottles, and b) in a 10L keg - before it goes bad?

Cheers! :)

Kind of one year but ales and stouts can last longer.

I have some vintage ales that are 2 and a half years old, another six months and I reckon I'll open a longneck

Not sure on kegs though, others will answer that

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Willy Weizenbier said:

Hi,

Curious to know what sort of expiry date can be expected? I understand some beers will go bad faster than other styles, but would like to get a ballpark on how long a beer will hold a) in bottles, and b) in a 10L keg - before it goes bad?

Cheers! :)

Like Rob, I couldn't advise on the kegs. I've been brewing about a year and a half so far and have yet to have a beer "go bad" due to age. Generally, my brews don't last more than a few months just because they are so darn good, and between my bride, my friends, and myself, we have a lot of glasses to fill. I do have about a dozen bottles of Belgian Strong cellared from a batch I brewed about 9 months ago, and the last time I cracked one open - maybe 2 weeks ago - it was doing just fine. Overall, I believe higher ABV beers don't mind long-term storage; say anything over 7-8%. The one thing I definitely would advise against, is long-term cellaring in growlers. Those screw-on caps just don't hold carbonation well. I had a very disappointing experience with a growler of my dear Belgian Strong that had waited almost a year, only to pour as flat as water. 

Slainte!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...