Decanting old flat PET bottles into glass

Been looking at my shelf with a fair few bottles of the strong stuff (RIS & Belgian Strong) that I had been aging, then my PETs went all flat on me. I couldn't bring myself to pour them down the sink and occasionally I had a flat one and they were ok. I tried using the soda maker to force carb one or two but it was a long process for a pretty mediocre result.

Anyway I've been thinking, if I took one, decanted it into my glass bottle, dropped a carbo drop in and left it for however long would I get a good result? Would the yeast be too far gone to start up? Would the beer be too oxidised after it's long flat life? Has anyone tried this before?

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts and if my curiosity gets the better of me I'll keep you all updated.

I have not tried this but have wondered the same thing. I suspect the result would be less than ideal, with perhaps the rare partial success. I dumped out an entire 64oz growler of the Belgian Strong that had gone flat after about 6 months. In retrospect, I shouldn't have tried to keep a beer cellared that long with a screw top cap. Also, I should have kept the flat beer to use in cooking somehow, perhaps as a base for a BBQ sauce or to simmer bratwurst and onions. 

• Upvote 1

G 'Day @Gillies Brewing.

That's a shame that your beer went flat in the PET bottles. The beer should last in them comfortably for up to 12 months. There is likely a small leak somewhere in the Caps. I have also used soda stream before with very average results 😂

I would not recommend decanting into another bottle as you risk oxidation of the beer. You can add 2 x carbonation drops to your PET bottle and give it another 3-4 weeks to carbonate, the yeast should get going again and carbonate the beer.

Otherwise @Steve Gyldenvand's idea to make beer brats is a favourite of mine. Also darker beers go into my Chili recipes when I have leftover brisket. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, BrewArt Team said:

The beer should last in them comfortably for up to 12 months. 

I assure you these are well over 12 months old 😅

Honestly I'll probably end up trying it out, but I'm equally unconfident, and yeah I'll probably use it as cooking beer!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1