Fermentation Overflow

G’day all,

I’m day three into a Ruby Porter and awoke this morning to find my Beerdroid overflowing (see pic).

The overflow is from all around the lid, not from any one location.

After my initial panic I read on this form that a few other brewers have encountered the same problem and have used chux etc to tape to the droid to minimise the overflowing mess.

Can anyone tell me how long this will continue before it settles down, is there an overflow outlet, and can the pressure damage the Droid.

Thanks,

Ian

68442E18-DC89-4CC0-BBC3-B22F25F29DA4.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Ian Brady said:

G’day all,

I’m day three into a Ruby Porter and awoke this morning to find my Beerdroid overflowing (see pic).

The overflow is from all around the lid, not from any one location.

After my initial panic I read on this form that a few other brewers have encountered the same problem and have used chux etc to tape to the droid to minimise the overflowing mess.

Can anyone tell me how long this will continue before it settles down, is there an overflow outlet, and can the pressure damage the Droid.

Thanks,

Ian

68442E18-DC89-4CC0-BBC3-B22F25F29DA4.jpeg

Hi Ian, now that is a sign of a really healthy fermentation. 1) won’t hurt the droid, 2) should settle down fairly quickly, 3) there is a dedicated overflow on the left hand side where the gap is - you can see when the lid is off, 4) I think the Ruby BrewPrint profile warns of a possible overflow. 5) all around the lid is not usual but does happen with really active fermentation and is not of concern,  6) the chuck wipes or plastic bags tapped to the side does save a lot of clean up.

I do note from the photo that not a lot of the krausen has escaped from the left hand side overflow port. Just check that the rubber seal isn’t blocking it when the whole process is finished (not now). No harm has been done.

Cheers

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
  • Upvote 1