Ruby Porter ... too long brew time?

1 hour ago, Patrick Freer said:

Hello. I am brewing the Ruby Porter in my droid. It has been brewing for over nine days now, which seems long from the specifications in the blueprint. At what point should I become concerned? Thank you.

Hi Patrick. Over 9 days is over the suggested BrewPrint guide and the 2 I’ve done have been 6 and 8 days.

Now sum checks.

1. Did you get any overflow? ( not necessary but common with this)

2. Can you see any bubbles rising when looking at the viewing panel with the light on? (You may have to reactivate the light several times)

3. Is the BrewArt app graph for the droid still showing rises in temperature and cooling?

I wouldn’t be concerned at this stage.

Hi -- thanks much. Yes I got a lot (!!) of overflow in days 2 and 3. I do see some bubbles, but not many. The Droid "machine" cycles on every now and again, and the app is showing some minimal rising/falling temps during the past 7 hours. QUESTION: How does the droid sense what is happening? I am a bit mystified about what happens after I press "initiate brewing."  Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Patrick Freer said:

Hi -- thanks much. Yes I got a lot (!!) of overflow in days 2 and 3. I do see some bubbles, but not many. The Droid "machine" cycles on every now and again, and the app is showing some minimal rising/falling temps during the past 7 hours. QUESTION: How does the droid sense what is happening? I am a bit mystified about what happens after I press "initiate brewing."  Thanks. 

It would certainly seem that fermentation is still happening but on the downhill run so to speak. Minimal temp rises and the bubbles support this so let see what happens at the next Droid test.

After pressing “initiate brewing” the propagation starts and the droid by heating or cooling (depending on water temp from internal thermometer) will bring the water to the target temperature. The propagation lasts 12hrs and then the fermentation program kicks in cooling the temperature to the fermentation target temp. Now by the internal thermometer the temperature works on a plus 1, minus 1C temperature variation from the target temperature. Say the target fermentation temperature is 17C then when it rises to 18C the cooling function will activate and drop the temperature to16C. This goes on throughout the fermentation process slowing near the end. Now the EOF is a commercial sensitive issue and patent protected by Coopers. However the Droid checks fermentation every 24hrs (the FE symbol) and as I understand it has a couple of thermometers that check the differential within the brew and the gases in the head space.

Trusts this helps.