Itap and other Counter Pressure Bottle Fillers

Does anyone have any experience in using an Itap or other counter pressure bottle filling devices. What are the advantages if any when bottling from the Droid. From watching the Utube clips its supposed to purge the bottle with CO2 and eliminate the Oxygen which results in a longer shelf life. Does it really make a difference

6 hours ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Does anyone have any experience in using an Itap or other counter pressure bottle filling devices. What are the advantages if any when bottling from the Droid. From watching the Utube clips its supposed to purge the bottle with CO2 and eliminate the Oxygen which results in a longer shelf life. Does it really make a difference

I haven’t used so a difference? I have bottles glass) of stout over 10 years old with excellent carbonation and no hint of oxidation. Personally for the cost and gas set up I wouldn’t bother. I believe the main use is when bottling from and already carbonated keg, wanting to maintain carbonation.

9 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

I haven’t used so a difference? I have bottles glass) of stout over 10 years old with excellent carbonation and no hint of oxidation. Personally for the cost and gas set up I wouldn’t bother. I believe the main use is when bottling from and already carbonated keg, wanting to maintain carbonation.

In all the reviews of these items, the main advantage appears to be that the initial purging of the bottle with CO2 drives out the harm full Oxygen and thus giving the bottled beer a much longer shelf life. They also point out that this is the method used in commercial breweries. You are right, I don't think I will bother. 

6 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

In all the reviews of these items, the main advantage appears to be that the initial purging of the bottle with CO2 drives out the harm full Oxygen and thus giving the bottled beer a much longer shelf life. They also point out that this is the method used in commercial breweries. You are right, I don't think I will bother. 

Note this method used in breweries is with already carbonated beer.

• Like 1