Secondary fermentation

K. C.

I use 10 liter stainless steel kegs (I own 3).  My previous keg I dropped in the 2 primers, waited about 4 weeks, then put it in the fridge to cool.  My first pour came out flat. So I ended up force carbonating. 

My current keg is conditioning. I’m on about 8 days right now.  Dropped in two primers & now I’m waiting.  This time I put a regulator on the keg to check CO2 pressure & it reads zero.  

What are some ideas for why these last two kegs aren’t carbonating.

I have used both these kegs in the past without problems any problems. 

1 hour ago, K. C. said:

I use 10 liter stainless steel kegs (I own 3).  My previous keg I dropped in the 2 primers, waited about 4 weeks, then put it in the fridge to cool.  My first pour came out flat. So I ended up force carbonating. 

My current keg is conditioning. I’m on about 8 days right now.  Dropped in two primers & now I’m waiting.  This time I put a regulator on the keg to check CO2 pressure & it reads zero.  

What are some ideas for why these last two kegs aren’t carbonating.

I have used both these kegs in the past without problems any problems. 

Hi K. C.

With the first keg at 4 weeks could there have been a leak, from the lid or either of the keg posts? With the second keg 8 days is probably not long enough to register a pressure.

Another issue could be the yeast reaction with the priming sugar. At what temperature are you storing the kegs? If there is only a small amount of yeast then carbonation could be very slow particularly considering the priming is with solid blocks. If the yeast has settled in the keg recess at the bottom it will probably have to wait until the blocks dissolve.

When the first keg is consumed it may be interesting what’s at the bottom.

14 minutes ago, K. C. said:

Could possibly be a leak, but force carbonating worked and I don’t notice the mini CO2 running out at greater speed.

It’s stored between 24-25 celcius, 76-78 Fahrenheit 

Just had a thought K. c.

Did you pressurise the kegs with Co2 after adding the primers and attaching the lid. If not, as there is no inside pressure to ensure a tight lid seal then you could well have a leak of the slow releasing Co2 via the primer/yeast reaction.

• Thanks 1