Secondhand Droid

Hello all,

i recently purchased a used droid.Have started my first brew,all fine so far.

My question is, after fully cleaning and sanitizing the unit, there is still the smell of cider alcohol, when you put you nose into the vessel.The guy i bought the unit off brewed mainly cider.Will this in any way affect my beer taste?

Many Thanks

3 hours ago, Con Nikolovski said:

Hello all,

i recently purchased a used droid.Have started my first brew,all fine so far.

My question is, after fully cleaning and sanitizing the unit, there is still the smell of cider alcohol, when you put you nose into the vessel.The guy i bought the unit off brewed mainly cider.Will this in any way affect my beer taste?

Many Thanks

Hi Con and welcome, to help could you answer the following:-

Did you seperate the tap into it’s two pieces, clean and sanitise? and clean/sanitise the tap spout on the Droid? The bung? The lid by removing the rubber seal and then cleaning and sanitising the seal?

What cleaning and sanitising agents did you use?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Con Nikolovski said:

Much appreciate to quick response.

I pre soaked vessel in sodium percarb for several hours then rinsed/star san.Yes to tap cleaned and used star san prior to brew.

Just didnt remove seal in lid.

Hoping my first batch is OK.

The seal may be “holding the smell” which settles into the Droid when the lid is on this May well not effect your brew outcome. Let us know how it turns out.

Your choice of cleaner and sanitiser is spot on.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Con Nikolovski said:

Much appreciate to quick response.

I pre soaked vessel in sodium percarb for several hours then rinsed/star san.Yes to tap cleaned and used star san prior to brew.

Just didnt remove seal in lid.

Hoping my first batch is OK.

You have just got to remove the lid seal and clean it and the grooves in the lid followed by good sanitation with Star San. This is essential.

• Upvote 1

Just reporting back on first brew.

kegged in corny via closed transfer,purged with Co2 and now sitting in fridge at 10psi.

I added liquid hop via the pressure relief value on the keg just before cold transfer' american ale'.

Hoping I did the right thing?

My question is,what PSI does the keg stay at over time?

Have a Coopers Sparkling Ale on now,trust this will be Ok to keg in Corny.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Con Nikolovski said:

Just reporting back on first brew.

kegged in corny via closed transfer,purged with Co2 and now sitting in fridge at 10psi.

I added liquid hop via the pressure relief value on the keg just before cold transfer' american ale'.

Hoping I did the right thing?

My question is,what PSI does the keg stay at over time?

Have a Coopers Sparkling Ale on now,trust this will be Ok to keg in Corny.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

You purged the keg at 10psi (good) and with it sitting in the fridge without gas connected as the keg cools some of the Co2 will be absorbed into the beer. When your looking at consumption you need to connect the Co2 at your dispensing pressure. Depending on your set up 8 to 10psi is probably the usual. This “set and forget” method of carbonation will take about 5 days for 10l to be carbonated.