Secondary Fermentation in the fridge/Dealing with Aus Summer

Nathan Bradshaw

First time brew (Coopers Pale) is due to be kegged in coming days. I am looking at buying another fridge for secondary fermentation storage, but it has been impossible to find what the max temp of a fridge is. I am operating on the assumption that under 25c is necessary, slightly lower temp more ideal (15-20c). How has everyone else managed this, when temperatures in Aus summer get well above 40?

• Like 1

Hi Nathan and welcome to the forum. Your best bet is to get one of these so you can set the temperature range you want, eg 18C for secondary fermentation. You can set the temperature parameters for the  fridge come on when the temp hits say 20C and goes off at say 17C. You can alter the temp ranges for cold crash etc.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-ITC-308-Thermostat-Heating-Cooling-Fan-Brewing-AU-/265358050138?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/1/22 at 9:07 AM, Nathan Bradshaw said:

First time brew (Coopers Pale) is due to be kegged in coming days. I am looking at buying another fridge for secondary fermentation storage, but it has been impossible to find what the max temp of a fridge is. I am operating on the assumption that under 25c is necessary, slightly lower temp more ideal (15-20c). How has everyone else managed this, when temperatures in Aus summer get well above 40?

What did you end up doing?

On 31/1/2022 at 10:18 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hi Nathan and welcome to the forum. Your best bet is to get one of these so you can set the temperature range you want, eg 18C for secondary fermentation. You can set the temperature parameters for the  fridge come on when the temp hits say 20C and goes off at say 17C. You can alter the temp ranges for cold crash etc.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-ITC-308-Thermostat-Heating-Cooling-Fan-Brewing-AU-/265358050138?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

When you use the Temp Controller with the fridge do you turn the internal fridge temp control off??