Sight glass leaking

Doghouse Brewing

AAARRRGGGHHH HELP!!

I have just filled my droid up to sanitise it to start a new brew and it’s leaking from the bottom of the sight glass. The sight glass is also all fogged up.

I have sent the team an online inquiry for their help but thought I’d see if anyone has had the same problem and how did you go with it…. Thanks

20A550EE-D58E-4EFC-98AA-5B0B8130BA2B.jpeg

F4D64E91-0AF9-463B-82BC-A857A779E87C.jpeg

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Otto said:

AAARRRGGGHHH HELP!!

I have just filled my droid up to sanitise it to start a new brew and it’s leaking from the bottom of the sight glass. The sight glass is also all fogged up.

I have sent the team an online inquiry for their help but thought I’d see if anyone has had the same problem and how did you go with it…. Thanks

20A550EE-D58E-4EFC-98AA-5B0B8130BA2B.jpeg

F4D64E91-0AF9-463B-82BC-A857A779E87C.jpeg

Hi Otto and welcome to the forum. Yes I had it with one of my Droids, it’s a bugger but BrewArt will sort it. Where about are you and what brews do you enjoy? 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hi Otto and welcome to the forum. Yes I had it with one of my Droids, it’s a bugger but BrewArt will sort it. Where about are you and what brews do you enjoy? 

Cheers Captain! Bugger you had the same thing, glad you got yours sorted. They have told me they can’t do anything to help so maybe try some silicone to stop it or else they have more in stock next month and buy a new one. 

pretty disappointed with that. Have only heard great things about Brewart and how they go above and beyond to help……. I guess not this time

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Otto said:

Cheers Captain! Bugger you had the same thing, glad you got yours sorted. They have told me they can’t do anything to help so maybe try some silicone to stop it or else they have more in stock next month and buy a new one. 

pretty disappointed with that. Have only heard great things about Brewart and how they go above and beyond to help……. I guess not this time

Was this brand new or purchased second hand @Otto?

TBH, surprised if they told you to buy a new one unless it was a second hand purchase because if new, it would be defective and would have to be replaced by law.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Otto said:

Silicone would work but seal from inside the Droid or you will have fluid in the viewer all the time and then bacteria

• Upvote 2

So bit of an update on my leaking Droid.

Yes my droid is a secondhand once hence why Brewart couldn’t really do too much. 

After some more investigating, the leak was found to be coming through the seam in the drain. Thanks to advise from Liam, I have done away with the drain and totally blocked it off with Selley’s Knead It. This just means I have a bit more work to do when it comes to cleaning and getting rid of the last bit of stuff out of the bottom of the droid. Apart from that, I’m back in action without having to upset the wife by buying a new Droid🤣

Now it’s time to sit around waiting to see if it has worked while the magic happens with a Coopers Pacific Pale Ale brewing away.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Great it’s fixed but a bit lost. From your photo’s water is in the sight glass and is running out at the bottom of it. So does this mean the seam in the drain has a connection to sight glass?

Yes Captain, it appears as though that is the case.

I think it must be hollow in and around the drain and spigot at the bottom. Water got through the seam in the drain and filled up that section. It then went up past the light, which I could see was full of water too, before coming out the bottom of the sight glass. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Thanks for that, good to know.

Yeah I was surprised to find this out as well. I only worked out where the leak was when I had left it for a while and then saw water sitting in the drain. Liam suggested it would be from the spigot before I found where it was actually leaking, i guess that’s where it more commonly leaks

B267CE37-6D5C-417F-B443-6A55114ABC1A.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...