Infections

T D

Hi everyone!

just thought I’d ask the question, just finished my brew with the philly sour yeast, tasted fine no dramas.

went to clean the droid and noticed this, I’m concerned this is infected, I have heard of this being a side effect of the yeast I’m using.

any help would be appreciated, I’m normally pretty strict with my sanitising of all equipment so this has me confused 

B5B8CF14-CE4F-4301-B22B-9CCC92B71309.jpeg

12 minutes ago, T D said:

Hi everyone!

just thought I’d ask the question, just finished my brew with the philly sour yeast, tasted fine no dramas.

went to clean the droid and noticed this, I’m concerned this is infected, I have heard of this being a side effect of the yeast I’m using.

any help would be appreciated, I’m normally pretty strict with my sanitising of all equipment so this has me confused 

In the past I've used philly sour and it hasn't left an infection. A thorough hot clean with sodium perc should do it. Just confirming you used the sour with standard yeast as part of the package or "sour pitch "? Sour pitch is lacto and needs to be boiled to kill the active ingredients. 

Cheers 

15 minutes ago, T D said:

Hi everyone!

Now it’s a sour brew, so I don’t really see a major problem. I’d need to know the full recipe to establish if those large white lumps may be protein. But if is smells ok, tastes ok as you  said so I’d say at this stage all good.

7 minutes ago, Hambone said:

In the past I've used philly sour and it hasn't left an infection. A thorough hot clean with sodium perc should do it. Just confirming you used the sour with standard yeast as part of the package or "sour pitch "? Sour pitch is lacto and needs to be boiled to kill the active ingredients. 

Hi Hambone thanks for the response mate, I went with just the normal sour yeast, I’ve used it before and not seen this happens prior 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Now it’s a sour brew, so I don’t really see a major problem. I’d need to know the full recipe to establish if those large white lumps may be protein. But if is smells ok, tastes ok as you  said so I’d say at this stage all good.

Thanks Captain for your help.

I was using this recipe from the coopers website (halved ingredients apart from yeast)

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/summer-berry-sour.html

i also added 500ml of H2 Melon water but again thoroughly sanitised before putting into the droid 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, T D said:

Thanks Captain for your help.

I was using this recipe from the coopers website (halved ingredients apart from yeast)

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/summer-berry-sour.html

i also added 500ml of H2 Melon water but again thoroughly sanitised before putting into the droid 

Thanks  for that. Now looking at you Droid, being a sour, I’d say no infection and all should be fine. Can’t wait for your report.

• Thanks 1