PET (Brown) Bottle wash procedures

Hi guys

Iam now starting to drink some brews I made a few months ago and I have bottled all my brews in the brown PET.

Iam rinsing the bottles out after each bottle is consumed, so all the old yeast is gone.

I store the bottles with the screw cap on then when its time to reuse the bottles I rinse and soak in hot water with some agitation from a beer bottle washer/scrubber (I dont use soap). I then empty and refill with Milton dilution for 30 minutes for each bottle as well as the caps. I empty the solution and rinse with cold tap water before filling.

I just wonder what every one else was doin to clean their bottles, PET or glass?

Mark

12 hours ago, Mark Gillman said:

Hi guys

Iam now starting to drink some brews I made a few months ago and I have bottled all my brews in the brown PET.

Iam rinsing the bottles out after each bottle is consumed, so all the old yeast is gone.

I store the bottles with the screw cap on then when its time to reuse the bottles I rinse and soak in hot water with some agitation from a beer bottle washer/scrubber (I dont use soap). I then empty and refill with Milton dilution for 30 minutes for each bottle as well as the caps. I empty the solution and rinse with cold tap water before filling.

I just wonder what every one else was doin to clean their bottles, PET or glass?

Mark

Hi Mark, your method is very sound however a fair bit of work.

The secret is to rinse the bottle and cap straight after consuming before everything dries in the bottle. Allow bottles to drain using crates or boxes with newspaper lined in the bottom. (don’t put caps on). Store this way until required.
When ready to fill use a non rinse sanitiser like Star San or Stellar San (brew shop or on line). You can either put some in the bottle, cap on, shake and drain for 5 minutes or use one of these ripper rinsers for rinsing and sanitising. (brew shops should have them). Sanitise your caps in the units bowl.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154526608112?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=pk3i5guyqdq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=q7hk_fmjT9q&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Once done fill your bottles.

I’ve done this for all glass and PET bottles for years without any issues. It’s easy as and fast. (Ps remember the sanitiser mixed solution is reusable, 1.5ml/litre of water, great value).

• Upvote 2