How easy to Keg to kegking from beer droid?

Nik

8 hours ago, Nik said:

How easy is this and if it recommended?

Hi @Nik, welcome to the forum.

Before answering, let's start with what type of kegking keg are you talking about? If it's a 9.5l or 19l corny, then not an issue. In fact, any keg with a standard liquid (Out) and gas (In) Post connector and you should be good to go with a few items. If you mean a BrewArt keg, then I'm not sure and will rely on others replying but for a Stainless Steel (SS) keg, here you go...

First item to get is the BrewArt Dry Hop Filter. This is a must if using hops and you will for most recipes. The link to this is here...
https://brewart.com/au/dry-hop-filter

Next most important item is to be able to connect your liquid (beer) line to your Dry Hop Filter. Most of us use a third party product from iKegger which is their Hopping Basket Connector (https://www.ikegger.com/collections/all-ikegger-products/products/beerdroid-hopping-basket-connection-with-line-and-liquid-disconnect?variant=42058663329947).

You can buy just the connector or a complete filling kit which will give you a liquid (Black) disconnect.

This connector allows you to connect your beer line to the Dry Hop Filter, quite the ingenious device actually.

So once you have those items, the set up looks something like this...

20220203_145336.thumb.jpg.c6ea0444675807f6eff32bf028e24f1f.jpg

My recommendation is to not leave the beer line as long as this, rather cut it to a size where there is no bend, so that the beer goes out the tap, thru the Dry Hop Filter, down the beer line via the connector and into the keg via the liquid Disconnect (Black) on the Out Post.

Note here that I use a Gas (Grey) Disconnect on the In Post which allows the gas to escape so you don't have to continually "burp" the keg via the Pressure Release Valve (PRV) which makes for a speedier transfer. Note that some Stainless Steel (SS) corny kegs have a PRV that can be lifted and turned allowing the gas pressure to be released that way.

Also another note, I've recently been using a short gas line attached to the Gas (Grey) Disconnect and I put that into a jug of StellarSan (Sanitiser) to stop any O2 being sucked in once all the beer is in the keg from the Droid knowing that sometimes, there is actually less than 9,5l of beer and it leaves some headspace and having the Gas Disconnect on could possibly allow the beer to get oxidized, something you want to avoid at all times.

Last thing to make sure, you have a good cleaning and steralising regime set up for each keg prior to filling with yummy beer from your Droid.

If you need some help with that, please let us know and I or others will be happy to assist and if you search in the forums, I'm sure there are a number of posts made on this very subject.

Good luck and good brewing. Cheers!

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Michael Tolhoek said:

Hi wazza  im

new to this. So you can’t actually fill the keg from Brewart through the big hole on the keg. You have to do it through the liquid in line? 

Hi @Michael Tolhoek, welcome to the forum and BrewArt.

You can certainly fill thru the large hole at the top of the keg and I'm sure many members of this forum do this. However, this method is likely to introduce Oxygen to your beer and that's something that is good to avoid.

Of course, some beer styles are much more susceptible to O2 contamination, Hazies, NEIPAs, and other hoppy styles.

If you are new to brewing, then if it all gets a little overwhelming, the try using the big hole and try using the liquid post once you are feeling a little more confident.

If using the "big hole", then be careful about splashing your beer about in your keg as you're filling it as again, this can lead to Oxidation.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Hi @Michael Tolhoek, welcome to the forum and BrewArt.

You can certainly fill thru the large hole at the top of the keg and I'm sure many members of this forum do this. However, this method is likely to introduce Oxygen to your beer and that's something that is good to avoid.

Of course, some beer styles are much more susceptible to O2 contamination, Hazies, NEIPAs, and other hoppy styles.

If you are new to brewing, then if it all gets a little overwhelming, the try using the big hole and try using the liquid post once you are feeling a little more confident.

If using the "big hole", then be careful about splashing your beer about in your keg as you're filling it as again, this can lead to Oxidation.

Are we still talking about beer? 🤣

• Haha 2