Didn’t Hit Tick After Adding Dry Hops

Hi all, was happy to see my droid let me know when I needed to add the 2 sachets of citra hops to the batch of Pineapple Crush IPA. Added them, but didn’t press tick. Two/three days later my droid moved the beer into storage, I assumed it was ready to bottle. When I went to move to keg, noticed it was still waiting for me to tell it I had added the dry hops. Went ahead and pressed tick and it went back to heat to “finish fermentation”. I think by the time it goes through and finishes the ferment now after telling it I’ve added the dry hops, they will have been in the droid for 5-6 days. Am wondering if I should just stop the brewprint and bottle, or let it run it’s course. Based on the activity when I opened it to add the hops, I am confident it had fermented out by the time it told me to add them. Had the overflow through the vent and all on day 2-ish of the fermentation phase. Sorry for rambling. What do you think? Let it ride, or atop and bottle?

@Michael Vande Voort,

If you bottle now, you will miss the "cold crashing" stage where the hops tend to settle to the bottom.  If you used a hop bomb or muslin bag to contain the hop fragments, cold crashing is not needed anyway.  If your hops were free-floating cold crashing could be helpful.  To force cold crashing, just place the batch on "store" for a few days.  Then press the tick to keg and proceed to bottling.  Cold crashing would have been automatic had you pushed the tick after adding the hops.  (Don't feel bad.  I have missed this step twice, myself.)

Even if you use cold crashing, I still recommend bottling/kegging with the filter unless you contained the hops with a hop bomb or a bag.

Happy brewing. 😀

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Michael Vande Voort said:

Hi all, was happy to see my droid let me know when I needed to add the 2 sachets of citra hops to the batch of Pineapple Crush IPA. Added them, but didn’t press tick. Two/three days later my droid moved the beer into storage, I assumed it was ready to bottle. When I went to move to keg, noticed it was still waiting for me to tell it I had added the dry hops. Went ahead and pressed tick and it went back to heat to “finish fermentation”. I think by the time it goes through and finishes the ferment now after telling it I’ve added the dry hops, they will have been in the droid for 5-6 days. Am wondering if I should just stop the brewprint and bottle, or let it run it’s course. Based on the activity when I opened it to add the hops, I am confident it had fermented out by the time it told me to add them. Had the overflow through the vent and all on day 2-ish of the fermentation phase. Sorry for rambling. What do you think? Let it ride, or atop and bottle?

Let it ride.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Agree with Rob. 

happened to me many times and can’t say it’s gone wrong.  Anyways it will allow the yeast to mop up any extra sugars floating around.  

cold crash isn’t mandatory when using a hop filter, and can’t say I’ve had a bad brew when hops were left too long provided you don’t have more than 150g of DH I’m the batch.  

obviously smell and taste prior to kegging/ bottling but I’ll bet you’re onto a good beer there. 

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Does the standard ale program include dry hopping?

I usually use a custom program and was in auto pilot when I was setting up the brew. 
It’s been 6 days and I haven’t had the dry hop notification yet so I’m questioning whether I just bite the bullet and dry hop now? 
Cheers

• 1 month later...

I think I've done the same - auto pilot in custom mode but can't recall (or see???) if I ticked to add dry hops. It's been fermenting for 10 days, so slightly longer than I expected. In thinking if EOF comes up just add hops and keep at keg temp for about 4 days, then storage mode to cold crash??

Cheers for any input 

2 hours ago, Sam Armstrong said:

I think I've done the same - auto pilot in custom mode but can't recall (or see???) if I ticked to add dry hops. It's been fermenting for 10 days, so slightly longer than I expected. In thinking if EOF comes up just add hops and keep at keg temp for about 4 days, then storage mode to cold crash??

Cheers for any input 

If it's been going for 10 days, I don't see why you wouldn't be fine adding the dry hops now, then proceed as you described.

• Upvote 1