Mongrel IPA

Yep got this on order. Liam is a big IPA fan, not so much the commercial department. Good to see another IPA added to the prints. Interesting hop combination, Cascade and Armarilo, West coast style. Say I will need to double hop this. As it might be a bit light on for a real IPA taste 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, MickyBlueEyes said:

Tried one tonight after 15 days in the bottle. I understand that's the bare minimum, but the hops weren't all that powerful, certainly wouldn't call it a 'riot on the senses'. Was nice enough though, can't wait to come back to it in a few weeks! 

Hi Micky, and welcome to the community! Glad to hear a report on the Mongrel. Robert mentioned that he thought the recipe might be a bit light on hops, and it seems you've confirmed it. He mentioned having Mongrel on order and anticipated double hopping. It'll be interesting to get his follow-up comments.

• Upvote 1

Another bottle tonight, (this is my only drinkable brew at the moment). Bitterness is definitely there but it's missing the full bodied taste. I'm sure that'll come together in a few weeks.. if it lasts that long..

Lucky I found a cheap second droid that Cash Converters seriously undervalued! Time to hit the brewing and build stock.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, MickyBlueEyes said:

Another bottle tonight, (this is my only drinkable brew at the moment). Bitterness is definitely there but it's missing the full bodied taste. I'm sure that'll come together in a few weeks.. if it lasts that long..

Lucky I found a cheap second droid that Cash Converters seriously undervalued! Time to hit the brewing and build stock.

Yeah, I'd give it another 3 to 4 weeks before getting too critical ( I mean you can then), most Brewprints need close to 8 weeks to show their true colours

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Andrew,

Welcome to the forum.  By now, you have probably added the dry hops and closed the lid.  You haven't identified your recipe, but the surface of your droid's content looks fairly normal.  I assume that the aroma was normally beery.

If you have any specific questions (and there are no dumb questions) please do not hesitate to ask.  We are all amateur brewers, but some of us are very knowledgeable about BrewArt brewing, and we are eager to help you as best we can.

Also, I suggest that you explore the numerous threads and forums on this site to pick up tips from the experience of others.  This is a rich source of brewing information as well as a lot of cheerful banter.

🙂 Happy brewing.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Thagomizer said:

Also, I suggest that you explore the numerous threads and forums on this site to pick up tips from the experience of others.  This is a rich source of brewing information as well as a lot of cheerful banter.

I don't think it can be overstated how helpful this can be. When I started here back on the first of the year, I found myself browsing through all the archived threads, sometimes looking for some specific bit of info, but more often just sort of exploring. I picked up a lot of useful tips, and was thoroughly entertained in the process!

Sláinte!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bottled the Mongrel yesterday. 
IMG_3524.thumb.jpeg.fe0b6c4c6fd8a8bc85b9b03a435a944a.jpeg

smelt amazing and taste test was really nice. A bit like brekkie juice ipas I have had before. 

My first brew so hopefully haven’t stuffed the bottling. Pretty sure I double dosed one bottle.  

On 22/9/2023 at 7:26 AM, Thagomizer said:

Andrew,

Welcome to the forum.  By now, you have probably added the dry hops and closed the lid.  You haven't identified your recipe, but the surface of your droid's content looks fairly normal.  I assume that the aroma was normally beery.

If you have any specific questions (and there are no dumb questions) please do not hesitate to ask.  We are all amateur brewers, but some of us are very knowledgeable about BrewArt brewing, and we are eager to help you as best we can.

🙂 Happy brewing

• Like 1

I've made the Mongrel a couple of times and would class it as my favourite Brewprint to date.

I'm inadvertently experimenting with one at the moment. I have a few brewprints lying around and have put the yeast and hops in the fridge for safe keeping. I thought I had opened the Belgian Lager kit, so went to the fridge and got the yeast for that kit, then added the other ingredients. Turns out I have opened the wrong kit, so now have a Mongrel on the go, but with Lager yeast. I'm planning on using the Mongrel dry hops, plus some Mosiac and Galaxy to flesh it out, so will be interested on how it turns out with a Lager Yeast.

I'll report back with the outcome in a month or two.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 5:00 AM, Andy Simma said:

Just hit the 2 week mark. First brew for me. Pretty happy to see how this develops over the next weeks. 

Congratulations Andy, I remember how anxious I was for that first brew to hit 2 weeks, and how delighted I was with the results! Now for the really hard part; not drinking it all up before it's had a chance to mature some. I have no doubt that Mongrel is really going to benefit from some time in the bottle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2