Excessive Carbonation

Looking for some input here, everybody. This has happened to me a couple times before, with The Point IPA and Mountain Range, and now with American Pale Ale. I use carbonation/conditioning drops, 1 per bottle, and The Point I used 4 of the smaller conditioning tabs that call for 3-5 per bottle. In each case, the results were a beer that virtually explodes out of the bottle when uncapped. I read elsewhere that it could be a result of the droid signaling EOF before it's really ended, so I've taken to leaving the brew in the droid a couple extra days before bottling. I did that in this case, and you can see what the result is.

This is the American Pale Ale. It's the 3rd bottle I opened, and the result has been the same on each one. And that beer in the glass is the absolute gentlest pour I could manage as the beer shot out of the bottle. Any thoughts?

IMG_5263.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 12/03/2024 at 9:34 PM, Steve Gyldenvand said:

Looking for some input here, everybody. This has happened to me a couple times before, with The Point IPA and Mountain Range, and now with American Pale Ale. I use carbonation/conditioning drops, 1 per bottle, and The Point I used 4 of the smaller conditioning tabs that call for 3-5 per bottle. In each case, the results were a beer that virtually explodes out of the bottle when uncapped. I read elsewhere that it could be a result of the droid signaling EOF before it's really ended, so I've taken to leaving the brew in the droid a couple extra days before bottling. I did that in this case, and you can see what the result is.

This is the American Pale Ale. It's the 3rd bottle I opened, and the result has been the same on each one. And that beer in the glass is the absolute gentlest pour I could manage as the beer shot out of the bottle. Any thoughts?

IMG_5263.jpeg

I have had this on occasion and I really, really didn't know what I had done. I am like you with this, did it still have some fermentation to go, was the temp of the secondary fermentation too hot, too cold...I didn't have a clear answer

I believe that it has to be the case that it still hasn't reached EOF, it is the only logical answer. To slow it down though, what I have found is...put it into the fridge for two days, it slows everything down and gives you the opportunity to pour a more than half-decent glass and not have the rest come out of the bottle. I think I pour a decent glass, usually a pint glass, like old imperial British type, the wider glass allows a better pour then the rest of the bottle settles by time you come to the second pour.

In saying that, how does it taste, was it OK, if it isn't then it's an infection but if it tastes fine then it has to be not finished fermenting

• Thanks 1

I have made several (nearly) identical brews, some have been over carbonated others weren’t. 

It was doing my head in!

The only difference was the type of dry hops added. I did some research and came across the “hop creep” phenomenon, which varies depending on hop type, packaging etc…

Here is an interesting article giving a good overview. Not sure if it is relevant to what you are experiencing but something to be aware of as you try to figure it out. 

https://www.biralleebrewing.com/2021/11/what-is-hop-creep-and-how-to-prevent-it.html?m=1

cheers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I also have had a few energetic brews.  They were capped in pint bottles and came from the fridge.  Each one was carbonated with 1.5 tsp (7.5 ml) of dextrose.  A proper EOF had been observed.  There was no vigorous "puff" when the bottle was opened, but a delayed vigorous flow ensued whose foam exceeded the capacity of the glass I was filling.  The beer was otherwise quite drinkable.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, xpsTech said:

I have made several (nearly) identical brews, some have been over carbonated others weren’t. 

It was doing my head in!

The only difference was the type of dry hops added. I did some research and came across the “hop creep” phenomenon, which varies depending on hop type, packaging etc…

Here is an interesting article giving a good overview. Not sure if it is relevant to what you are experiencing but something to be aware of as you try to figure it out. 

https://www.biralleebrewing.com/2021/11/what-is-hop-creep-and-how-to-prevent-it.html?m=1

cheers. 

Thanks for the link! You know, I had noticed that all the brews that exhibited excess carbonation seemed to be dry-hopped, and was wondering if there was a connection. I read the article, and will give it some consideration. At the moment I have a Pineapple Crush brewing. I'm not sure what the dry-hop temperature is on this one (anyone know off hand?) but I can monitor it and reduce it if it looks higher than 50F. I'm also thinking about shortening the dry-hop duration. I imagine at this point the easiest way to do that would be to go ahead and push the tick button when prompted to dry-hop, then wait a day to actually add the hops. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Slainte!

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/03/2024 at 9:20 AM, Steve Gyldenvand said:

Thanks for the link! You know, I had noticed that all the brews that exhibited excess carbonation seemed to be dry-hopped, and was wondering if there was a connection. I read the article, and will give it some consideration. At the moment I have a Pineapple Crush brewing....

So, after the explosive carbonation debacle with the American Pale Ale, I decided to try a different approach with the Pineapple Crush. Rather than use the single carbonation drop in each bottle, I went with the smaller Brewer's Best Conditioning Tabs. They direct you to use 3 for mild carbonation, 4 for medium, and 5 for maximum. I've used 4 and 5 in the past, but with the pineapple I tried 3. The results? Beer is kinda flat. Tasty, but pretty flat. 

(Big ole sigh...)

I'll get this one back in the rotation right quick. It is, as I said, quite tasty, and I'm guessing with proper carbonation it'll be just the ticket properly chilled on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn.

Slainte!

IMG_5416.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2