Repeated E1 errors on droid

dcm

My latest batch of Polski Baltic porter is in trouble I think :-(

My 'droid has thrown no less than three "E1" errors in 24 hours.  Each error resulted in a cessation of refrigeration and a large temperature spike (not sure if this is because of fermentation or extraordinarily warm August weather here in Brisbane).

This morning another E1 error and my brew idling at 22C (should be 12C).

The temperature graph looks like the plot of a yo-yo.

I had 9 liters in the 'droid as per usual for this mix.  This would be my 3rd batch but the temperature is so out of whack with this one I fear it may be lost.

Any theories or is my droid busted :-(

Manual says: "Cause 1: The unit has failed to heat or cool your brew to the target temperature within an acceptable time limit."

I'm wondering if that is it.  When I've over-ridden the error messages, the compressor has started immediately but run for a long-ish time without dropping the temperature more than 1 degree or so.  The exhaust fan is blowing curiously tepid air.  I'm wondering if the heat pump unit has packed up.  I think it IS working but it seems very slow to cool.

So, a couple more E1 errors and not much cooling and yet the case feels much less than the 22C the Droid is telling me.

I grab my contactless IR thermometer, open the droid lid and measure the temperature on the unfermented stuff floating on top of the future-beer.

6.5c...

I guess the problem is my temperature sensing. 

19 hours ago, Pursya said:

Broken Droid.

Time to let the team have a look at your temp graph.

Take a pic of your thermometer reading and send it to them.

Note the time so they can compare to the droid readings.

Then wait for the new Droid!

I didn’t even have to do that.  The temperature gyrations as the fault progressed defied the laws of physics and once Brewart support knew my ‘droid serial, they could check it at their back-end and could see that for themselves.  The reported temperatures and time were simply not possible.  After the “turning it off and on again” test failed, I was informed that a new ‘droid and Brewprint was to be despatched.

Again, the questionable reliability has been neutralised by good support.  No clue what happened to it.  I’d been brewing back-to-back for 5 batches and that was the 5th.  Maybe it got bored.

I just hope that the later hardware is a little more robust (my first droid has a very small serial number).  I don’t want to be looking at more dead droids outside my warranty.

I had a dead Droid first up. Ran for about 2 hours.

My replacement Droid serial is #1421, supplied January.

The Droid I purchased two weeks ago is #861!

All came from my local HN store.

So no rhyme or reason as to how the droids are distributed.

I don't think the serial numbers mean much as I reckon we are still working on the initial batch of Droids.

Archived