Can I brew with grains?

I am a former BIAB brewer looking to simplify.  I’ve read the reviews and people mention that you can do custom all grain brewing in the droid, but the more I’ve looked into it the more I question it.  

Can you brew using actual grains using the beer droid or is it malt extract only?

Can you use actual hops or liquid only?

On 04/05/2019 at 11:10 PM, Mike Mirabello said:

I am a former BIAB brewer looking to simplify.  I’ve read the reviews and people mention that you can do custom all grain brewing in the droid, but the more I’ve looked into it the more I question it.  

Can you brew using actual grains using the beer droid or is it malt extract only?

Can you use actual hops or liquid only?

Hi, Mark here. You can not brew in the unit directly with grain, but the wort from all grain brewing, BIAB is quite acceptable. Any wort is acceptable, purchased or made yourself. I have used wort prepared from kits.

I have added steeped hops to the wort and dry hopped in the droid using a hop bag.

Just remember the unit is a top notch temp control fermenter. I personally think it’s brilliant and worth the outlay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

I brew with All-Grain wort most of the time. I use the Droid now primarily for recipe testing. I've been brewing up 20L of base wort using a neutral bittering hop. I then split the batches into 2 10L batches. 1 goes into the droid the other into a 10L keg until the first batch is fermented. I then test out different Flavour/Aroma hop combinations and yeasts. It works a treat. 

Kind Regards

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Kaisersose said:

Hi Mike,

I brew with All-Grain wort most of the time. I use the Droid now primarily for recipe testing. I've been brewing up 20L of base wort using a neutral bittering hop. I then split the batches into 2 10L batches. 1 goes into the droid the other into a 10L keg until the first batch is fermented. I then test out different Flavour/Aroma hop combinations and yeasts. It works a treat. 

Kind Regards

I do a similar thing but with a Coopers extract tins as the base. Prepare 22 litres, using LDME put 10l in the droid and 12l in a 15l fermenter. Then use different steeped hops and/or different for dry hopped  and perhaps different yeasts. Sometimes in the droid I’ll use brewprint ingredients as to hops and yeast. Two different brews from the one tin and as you said you can easily experiment. (I keg into ball lock 12l and 9.5/10 litre kegs). 

cheers Mark