BrewFlo and BeerDroid layed on side during shipping!

David Fochtman

Hi, new BeerDroid and BrewFlow owner, just arrived today. I haven't opened the boxes yet. I noticed after the FedEx driver departed, both cardboard outer boxes were all black on the "side" of the boxes from laying/sliding around on the floor of at least one truck, and maybe more, even though the boxes were clearly marked not to lay on the side, keep upright.  The 101 videos state never lay boxes on the side, keep upright as laying them on their side could cause damage to the compressors. Should I be worried about damage to the compressors? Anyone else have this problem with shipping? Did your equipment still work fine after you opened it and used it? Am I too worried about the video warning? Thanks, Dave.

• Upvote 1

Hi David, Mark here. The products are well packed inside the boxes, the main issue with the compressors is the oil displacement if the units are not upright.

1) you noticed box on its side however with various transporting and handling of these products none of us would know how they were handled before we received them.

2) I’m sure manufactures are aware of this but obviously keeping upright is the best care

3) I’d photograph the boxes, black etc however would open them up and check for any oil leakage/seepage. There shouldn’t be and if units left upright for 24 hours the oil should be back where it should be.

4) if  3) & 4) ok I’d use the setup and  use the product but contact BrewArt by email or phone about the problem to cover yourself.

hope above helps. Ps the brewdroid is fantastic

Edited by Barrelboy

I unpacked both BeerDroid and BrewFlo and neither had leaked any oil, not even an oil smell. After waiting > 48 hrs. I turned on the BeerDroid and all is well, so far. Was able to connect to wifi and upgrade firmware. Probably start my first brew tomorrow. It will be the American Pale Ale supplied with the Droid. While that's brewing I'll order some more brewprints. Porters and stouts are my favorite (actually, I haven't met a beer I didn't like) but getting to be summer here so will order some lighter brews also. Any recommendations? 

I'm a first time brewer. While I've wanted to attempt brewing over the years the old school method just seemed too overwhelming. When I saw this, I decided to give it a try. I may indeed reach out to you for advice in the future Mark, appreciate it. I'd like to be able to brew custom brews sourcing my own ingredients some day. I would love to learn how to make a chocolate peanut butter porter. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the response, I kegged the American Pale Ale a couple of weeks ago, not in the fridge yet but will let you know how it goes.

I have made and consumed the Highland IPA, absolutely delicious, easy drinking for summer (or any time) and gave it 9.5/10 in my own ratings method. The Coopers Session Ale is another good one and a great summer brew is the English Pub Draught. 

As your fairly new to brewing keep with the brewart recipes to get your confidence and routine down. The biggest issue is cleaning of the unit and sanitising. Don’t forget the lid, tap and drain bung (under the tap). 

When your ready Contact and I’ll talk to you about experimenting with ingredients and other forms of wort (kit tins ect).

Ps don’t forget that the yeast is put on top of the water first.

• 1 month later...

Hey Mark. Brewing is going good.  I have consumed the first keg of American Pale Ale, it turned out better than I expected (I let it sit for a bit more than 3 weeks in secondary fermentation). I have also kegged a batch of the Four Leaf Stout which is ready to consume now but I'm letting it ferment a bit longer. Both the droid and brew flow worked perfectly for me, no problems. I am getting the hang of it and the process is really quite easy. I will be brewing my third batch soon: Polski Baltic Porter. Ready for experimenting after that so whenever your ready to share I'm ready. Hope your brewing is also going well, later.

28 minutes ago, David Fochtman said:

Hey Mark. Brewing is going good.  I have consumed the first keg of American Pale Ale, it turned out better than I expected (I let it sit for a bit more than 3 weeks in secondary fermentation). I have also kegged a batch of the Four Leaf Stout which is ready to consume now but I'm letting it ferment a bit longer. Both the droid and brew flow worked perfectly for me, no problems. I am getting the hang of it and the process is really quite easy. I will be brewing my third batch soon: Polski Baltic Porter. Ready for experimenting after that so whenever your ready to share I'm ready. Hope your brewing is also going well, later.

Just great all is going well for you. Your right in the process is easy and haven’t  had a bad drop yet. Thought the American Pale Ale was just delicious.

You like your stouts so let’s start with a good easy one. You will get two brews out of this. In a sanitised stainless steel pot (just for the brew room think about the 19l stainless pot with glass lid from BigW for $20) put in 2 to 3 litres of just boiled water and add 1/2 a tin each of the Coopers Irish Stout can and the Thomas Coopers Dark Ale Malt (liquid). Stir until dissolved. Add a couple of litres of cold water to cool it down or have some cold water in the Droid before you tip in the hot solution. Fill droid to the 10 litres and sprinkle the yeast that came with the tin on the surface. Set droid to the Ale mode.

Now the two 1/2 tins will keep in the fridge best in a plastic bag, vacuum sealed or in an air tight container. Will be ok for your next brew. When you do this use either Y2 yeast or Safale so-4 yeast.

Doing the batches in a row gives one for drinking and one for maturing (if you can, ha ha)

I’m a long term Coopers product fan as I believe the quality is always there and never had an issue however you may want to use other brands.

Cheers Mark.

• Like 1

Sounds good! Two questions: 1.) In the U.S. looks like I have to buy Coopers on Amazon. They recommend the #2 Enhancer when I purchase both the Irish Stout and the Dark Ale Malt, should I go ahead and get it? 2.) Do I need to add anything like sucralose to the kegs like with the Brew Art brew prints before I fill them for secondary fermentation? Thanks Mark.

14 minutes ago, David Fochtman said:

Sounds good! Two questions: 1.) In the U.S. looks like I have to buy Coopers on Amazon. They recommend the #2 Enhancer when I purchase both the Irish Stout and the Dark Ale Malt, should I go ahead and get it? 2.) Do I need to add anything like sucralose to the kegs like with the Brew Art brew prints before I fill them for secondary fermentation? Thanks Mark.

Sorry, yes your in the U.S.

1) If you like a strong robust stout go with the enhancer as well. (shake in the packet to mix up a bit and add 1/2). This would be great for maturing purposes as well (keeping for a year(s). I have glass bottled stouts over 7 years, you could put it on ice cream 🍦.😛

2) yes, you still have to start the carbonation process after fermentation.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark,

Everything going great with brewing. Have had great success with each brew art brew print I've brewed thus far. Really enjoying this home made brew and the labor is minimal which I also appreciate. Placed on Amazon wish list Coopers  ingredients for stout you recommended. Was just getting ready to purchase when I received several new brew prints from my daughters for my birthday so thought I should run through those first. Hope your brewing is also going well. Cheers Dave

• Upvote 1