4 days into a brew and internet died

Simon Lehman

5 hours ago, Simon Lehman said:

Hey all,

I'm 4 days into a brew and I lost Internet at my house for a few minutes. The Beerdroid since hasn't reconnected, how to reconnect it without interrupting the brew?

Cheers, 

Simon

It should reconnect once the server is back on board with the modem. Do you have any of the symbols on the Beerdroid screen, that is the wifi and world globe symbols? 

My internet connect when off the other day for about 20mins and everything back to normal when it reconnected. Chevy the modem to ensure its back on board. Either way I’d turn it off and back on again to let it reset. (The modem not the droid).

Let  us know how you go.

Ps your brew will continue as normal and if not connected the screen will tell you when it changed to the keg mode.

6 hours ago, Simon Lehman said:

Restarting the router again has done the job.

Just a second thing, I'm brewing a lager and have had a temp change from 12c to 15c. Now in the 5th day.

Is that normal? This internet issue hasnt caused a prob has it?

Needless to say I'm very new to brewing.

Yes it is normal, the brew is continuing as it should. It goes up in temperature near the end of fermentation for the yeast to “liven up” a bit, and improve cleanup of fermentation by-products. 

Cheers Mark

2 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Yes it is normal, the brew is continuing as it should. It goes up in temperature near the end of fermentation for the yeast to “liven up” a bit, and improve cleanup of fermentation by-products. 

Cheers Mark

No worries, thanks heaps for your responses mate.

21 hours ago, Simon Lehman said:

Restarting the router again has done the job.

Just a second thing, I'm brewing a lager and have had a temp change from 12c to 15c. Now in the 5th day.

Is that normal? This internet issue hasnt caused a prob has it?

Needless to say I'm very new to brewing.

Yes it is normal, just as normal for it to sit there for 7 days at 12 degrees and then become ready to keg an hour later

On 01/09/2019 at 9:44 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Yes it is normal, just as normal for it to sit there for 7 days at 12 degrees and then become ready to keg an hour later

Thank mate. One more question to prove precisely how new to this I am.

There was a bit of a fart smell coming from my brew (lawn mower lager) when I bottled it. The taste seemed alright though given it hadn't completed ssecondary fermentation. 

I now have a Belgian strong ale (lots of packets of enhancers and shit) pushing day 5 of its brew and without removing the lid, the smell is stronger... wasn'treally noticeable up until this morning though.

Normal also?

Please say yes.

47 minutes ago, Simon Lehman said:

There was a bit of a fart smell coming from my brew (lawn mower lager) when I bottled it. The taste seemed alright though given it hadn't completed ssecondary fermentation. 

I now have a Belgian strong ale (lots of packets of enhancers and shit) pushing day 5 of its brew and without removing the lid, the smell is stronger... wasn'treally noticeable up until this morning though.

Normal also?

Please say yes.

It’s not unusual for fermenting or just fermented brews to have a bit of a smell about them. Co2 and brewing ingredients odours are given off and with the Droid you can experience this when removing the lid or as fermentation is taking place, out of the overflow channel. Normally an infected brew really stinks, tastes like crap and has odd looking growths on top of the brew.

Rob has brewed the Lawn Mower Lager and the Belgian Strong so expect he will gladly comment.

Taste is a good indicator as to the outcome, Belgian Strong has a lot of ingredients so odours wouldn’t surprise. I’d say all is ok.

Cheers Mark

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Simon Lehman said:

Normal also?

Please say yes.

I would say beer is like pussy, you may notice the smell but if it tastes good then you get past it...

Seriously though Simon, probably normal, it does trigger a memory or two I have had of strange smell coming from a brew but it did go away. Also it has been long enough now that i must have drunk those brews, so they must have been fine :) . I'd only be worried if there was a growth on top, sort of like you went "crap, that looks like fungus" or if it tastes weird

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Apologies for not updating you lot sooner. It appears I've been a tad nervous for a first-time brewer and the Lawn Mower Lager turned out well. My only mistake was waiting exactly two weeks when Winter had barely finished before starting to drink it. It wasn't bad, but not great... another week or two and it's improved nicely.

2 weeks ago I cracked open the beerdroid to bottle my Belgian Strong Ale. I was met with a very golden looking liquid at the top with no growths or anything. Was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen including watching my wife walk down the aisle and my kids be born!

Thanks blokes for allaying my fears. I'm much more confident with the BeerDroid now and I have my third brew on the way with a 4th waiting to get started. I've also grabbed myself some glass swing top bottles and will phase these in to replace the plastic bottles. 

Going to crank out quite a few brews this Spring to get me through Summer and then do some more brewing in Autumn to get me through Winter and so the pattern will continue. 

Also going to look at making my own wort in the next month or so for the BeerDroid.

Thanks again lads!

Simon

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Simon Lehman said:

Hi all,

Apologies for not updating you lot sooner. It appears I've been a tad nervous for a first-time brewer and the Lawn Mower Lager turned out well. My only mistake was waiting exactly two weeks when Winter had barely finished before starting to drink it. It wasn't bad, but not great... another week or two and it's improved nicely.

2 weeks ago I cracked open the beerdroid to bottle my Belgian Strong Ale. I was met with a very golden looking liquid at the top with no growths or anything. Was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen including watching my wife walk down the aisle and my kids be born!

Thanks blokes for allaying my fears. I'm much more confident with the BeerDroid now and I have my third brew on the way with a 4th waiting to get started. I've also grabbed myself some glass swing top bottles and will phase these in to replace the plastic bottles. 

Going to crank out quite a few brews this Spring to get me through Summer and then do some more brewing in Autumn to get me through Winter and so the pattern will continue. 

Also going to look at making my own wort in the next month or so for the BeerDroid.

Thanks again lads!

Simon

The Belgian strong Ale is a wicked, wicked beer.

It is like you get a beer and just pour some Tequila into it. I don't mean a shot of it, I mean you just liberally poured the bottle in and thought " that should be enough"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1