Ready to Keg / Storage mode

Darran Haynes

2 hours ago, Darran Haynes said:

Ok so brew has hit 'ready to keg' mode after 8 days, however I won get a chance to bottle for another 24-48hrs.

Is it considered better to leave in 'ready to keg' mode at circa 18 degrees or move to storage mode until I'm ready? Any real difference?

If you leave it in storage the yeast will clean up and sediment will settle. After 48hrs it will automatically change to the storage mode however you can change it back to the keg mode again.

In the storage mode the temperature drops to 4C meaning the yeast will go to sleep so if you bottle at that temperature the carbonation won’t occur until the yeast “wakes up” again. Leave it in the keg mode if you can however if not home and it goes into storage just get it back to keg temperature prior to bottling.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Darran Haynes said:

(just seems much more aggressive than my last brew) - albeit that last brew was the Pale Ale with the ages old Yeast.

This one is the honey lager from half a Morgans Tin with added hop tea and honey.  Tasted and smelled quite nice; definitely a honey aroma

The brew looks good and normal, just a bit of krausen on top and “floaties” probably from the hop tea. Aroma is a good indication of an off brew. You tasted (good thing to do) and all ok.

The addition of honey would have been one reason this brew more active. Some recipes ferment along very slowly whilst other go off with a bang. Wait till you have krausen coming out under the lid. (Designed to allow that)

• Thanks 1

Cheers Mark - really appreciate the feedback.  All of this is still quite new to me so your advice and tips are of great value.

On a side note; when I set off the Pineapple Crush IPA last night (can't wait for this one!) I absent mindedly put in the yeast LAST (not first).
With that said, looking through the viewer this morning after 10hrs; the brew looks comparable to my others so hoping it will work it's magic regardless (tonight's fermentation test will tell me what I want to know!).

Cheers! 🍻

17 minutes ago, Darran Haynes said:

Cheers Mark - really appreciate the feedback.  All of this is still quite new to me so your advice and tips are of great value.

On a side note; when I set off the Pineapple Crush IPA last night (can't wait for this one!) I absent mindedly put in the yeast LAST (not first).
With that said, looking through the viewer this morning after 10hrs; the brew looks comparable to my others so hoping it will work it's magic regardless (tonight's fermentation test will tell me what I want to know!).

Cheers! 🍻

Pleasure to help, thanks.

Putting the yeast in last will not cause any major issues but will be a bit slower to take off as the other ingredients have to sink first. If it happens again, with a sanitised spoon make a hole in the middle of the ingredients to the water surface and just tip the yeast in.

A good way to confirm fermentation is happening is via the app. If the wort is warming up and the unit cooling etc then it’s happening.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
3 minutes ago, Shane Dalupan said:

How long can you keep the brew in storage mode? Brew is done but I forgot to buy the beer liners and I will need to wait until it arrives in the mail 😬 

Hi Shane and welcome to the forum. You’ll have no problem leaving in the store mode until your liners arrive. You can leave it there at the 4C for weeks, the yeast goes to sleep, sediment in solution drops out and you’ll have a very clear brew. (don’t lift the lid)

Out of interest what is it and what styles do you enjoy most.

• Thanks 1