Pizza and Beer

Rob Courtney

9 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Whomever made this planet was having an on day when they went " today, I shall create pizza and match it with beer".

Into the Belgians at the moment, life is good, very good. Day off tomorrow, so life is better than very good :)

Just love pizza, real pizza from wood fired ovens etc or your own. Turkish bread sliced through the guts so as to halve the thickness makes a great base. And beer, what a match, the Birra is a super pairing.

Day off, you could make it “piss head a Tuesday” 😂🤪

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

There is a pizza shop down the road that does very nice pizza ( unlike Dominoes) and they have this thing where if you grab a pizza off the rack, you get it for 8 bucks. So, they make 5 different types of pizza (including Supreme) all cooked up and in the warmer and you can be in and out in 30 secs with a half price pizza. Only ever seen this down here but I just can't understand why others have never done this, need to grab the pizza before 7pm to get it at 1/2 price. I mean, I don't have an issue paying full price for their pizza but half...every day of the week thanks

Just now, Barrelboy said:

Should be a double tasting now, my beers, your pizzas

Weird thing is, it isn't the best pizza shop in town, there is a wood oven place that absolutely kicks butt and has won nationally. Still, at a pinch this one is very good and this whole in and out bit is very good...toppings are top rate too

• 3 years later...

Have been having a secret relatioship with the wood oven pizza shop...I mean my wife comes along with me but I'm not sure she knows whats going on :)

They do a Mexican Pizza which one bite in your lips and tounge start to go numb...so good.

It reminds me of back in the day when i had a real affinity for chilli, the more the better, I have calmed down a touch now I am older but I was living up in Adelaide at the time and the local pizza joint was one street away, now I love pizza and I was only dating Mrs C back then so I would have pizza 4 nights a week and my favourite was the "inferno".

Everytime you would order an Inferno they'd ask how hot you'd want it on a scale of 1-10. The first time I ordered one i ordered it as a 5 just to check...because quite frankly, the world is filled with psycopaths and odds are some of them work at pizza shops. Long story short I'd get 2 of those a week and mix it up the opther two but when asked for a rating I'd say 10. The guy who owned the shop, Johnny, we knew each other by voice so the call would go "Pizza Shop" Hi Johnny , Hoi Rob, Inferno 10" and I'd hang up knowing the pizza would be at my house  somewhere between 15-30 mins.

One day he said "10" and I said mate, I'll be honest you don't know how to make a hot pizza as a bit of banter and he said "OK"

First time ever, Johnny delivered the pizza, he laughed and said "Good luck".

I opened it and all you could see was chilli seeds, I was going to let it go but I thought "One bite" which was amazing so I thought "One slice"

Long story short, I ate it all, it was so good, chilli salami and pepperoni, chilli flakes, pieces of chilli, it was amazing and was washed down with 8 beers but an hour later my stomach was not the best and i heard a knock at the door, it was Johnny, who took 1 look at me and said "I won" and walked off. 

A few weeks after I walked around to the shop to order a pizza and he announced to the other guys "this is the guy who ate that pizza" and the staff were suitably impressed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Have been having a secret relatioship with the wood oven pizza shop...I mean my wife comes along with me but I'm not sure she knows whats going on :)

They do a Mexican Pizza which one bite in your lips and tounge start to go numb...so good.

It reminds me of back in the day when i had a real affinity for chilli, the more the better, I have calmed down a touch now I am older but I was living up in Adelaide at the time and the local pizza joint was one street away, now I love pizza and I was only dating Mrs C back then so I would have pizza 4 nights a week and my favourite was the "inferno".

Everytime you would order an Inferno they'd ask how hot you'd want it on a scale of 1-10. The first time I ordered one i ordered it as a 5 just to check...because quite frankly, the world is filled with psycopaths and odds are some of them work at pizza shops. Long story short I'd get 2 of those a week and mix it up the opther two but when asked for a rating I'd say 10. The guy who owned the shop, Johnny, we knew each other by voice so the call would go "Pizza Shop" Hi Johnny , Hoi Rob, Inferno 10" and I'd hang up knowing the pizza would be at my house  somewhere between 15-30 mins.

One day he said "10" and I said mate, I'll be honest you don't know how to make a hot pizza as a bit of banter and he said "OK"

First time ever, Johnny delivered the pizza, he laughed and said "Good luck".

I opened it and all you could see was chilli seeds, I was going to let it go but I thought "One bite" which was amazing so I thought "One slice"

Long story short, I ate it all, it was so good, chilli salami and pepperoni, chilli flakes, pieces of chilli, it was amazing and was washed down with 8 beers but an hour later my stomach was not the best and i heard a knock at the door, it was Johnny, who took 1 look at me and said "I won" and walked off. 

A few weeks after I walked around to the shop to order a pizza and he announced to the other guys "this is the guy who ate that pizza" and the staff were suitably impressed.

At the end of a long driveway through open farm fields off a dead end road near a small town in central Wisconsin, there is a family-owned brewery/winery called Rio Lobo. The name is Spanish for Wolf River, which flows nearby. In addition to the their own beer and wine, they also serve pizza, made to order in their wood-fired brick oven. Now, it's pretty safe to say that, in addition to being serious fans of craft beers and local wines, my bride and I are devoted pizza lovers, particularly the thin crust variety that comes out of the oven with just a hint of char on the crust. We have been known to travel considerable distances to sample the fare at places we've heard of, so when Rio Lobo opened their doors in July of 2020, we were delighted. All the more so, since the place is 4 miles from our home, and the drive is all back roads. Their pizza menu doesn't specifically include anything too spicy-hot, Rob, but they will gladly add pickled jalapenos to your order upon request. Pictured is their Meat Lover's pie that I had some time ago. It's as good as it looks, but my current favorite - and the one I had just last night - has rosemary and red onion. 

Honestly, I can't think of any food that can't be paired well with beer, and some foods practically require beer to be properly enjoyed; barbeque and burgers, for instance. But pizza...well, pizza just isn't complete without a brew to wash it down.

IMG_2584.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Steve Gyldenvand said:

At the end of a long driveway through open farm fields off a dead end road near a small town in central Wisconsin, there is a family-owned brewery/winery called Rio Lobo. The name is Spanish for Wolf River, which flows nearby. In addition to the their own beer and wine, they also serve pizza, made to order in their wood-fired brick oven. Now, it's pretty safe to say that, in addition to being serious fans of craft beers and local wines, my bride and I are devoted pizza lovers, particularly the thin crust variety that comes out of the oven with just a hint of char on the crust. We have been known to travel considerable distances to sample the fare at places we've heard of, so when Rio Lobo opened their doors in July of 2020, we were delighted. All the more so, since the place is 4 miles from our home, and the drive is all back roads. Their pizza menu doesn't specifically include anything too spicy-hot, Rob, but they will gladly add pickled jalapenos to your order upon request. Pictured is their Meat Lover's pie that I had some time ago. It's as good as it looks, but my current favorite - and the one I had just last night - has rosemary and red onion. 

Honestly, I can't think of any food that can't be paired well with beer, and some foods practically require beer to be properly enjoyed; barbeque and burgers, for instance. But pizza...well, pizza just isn't complete without a brew to wash it down.

IMG_2584.jpeg

Indeed, it is like the chicken and the egg quandry, what was invented first,pizza or beer. Whilst I do love the spicy pizzas I generally just love pizza, I am still just as happy with a margherita pizza and that was one of the four I had each week before Mrs C and I moved in together.

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steve Gyldenvand said:

Ah yes, the pizza hand-pie. I used to make calzones at home regularly, but got away from it. Maybe it's time........

Oh it is always time.

My local butcher, apart from having some great steak, does a side in Chicken Calzones with a BBQ cream sauce...if there is a complaint, it is they're too big (obviously not from me) 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Oh it is always time.

My local butcher, apart from having some great steak, does a side in Chicken Calzones with a BBQ cream sauce...if there is a complaint, it is they're too big (obviously not from me) 

I'm sorry, Rob, but you lost me with the whole "too big" thing. We talking about calzones or bar tabs?

12 minutes ago, Steve Gyldenvand said:

I'm sorry, Rob, but you lost me with the whole "too big" thing. We talking about calzones or bar tabs?

Not for me but lets say they are generous for average folk.

In saying that, I have been to America and also an American airbase in Japan (which was basically a little America...had three high schools on the base ) and some of the servings you get...will never complain that you were underfed :)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Not for me but lets say they are generous for average folk.

In saying that, I have been to America and also an American airbase in Japan (which was basically a little America...had three high schools on the base ) and some of the servings you get...will never complain that you were underfed :)

Because, seriously, is there anything worse than going out for a meal and going home hungry?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Steve Gyldenvand said:

Because, seriously, is there anything worse than going out for a meal and going home hungry?

One of my mates went out for dinner at a "nice" with his wife and another couple years ago. Between main course and dessert, my mate felt that he was going to leave hungry ( big plates small serves sort of place) so he said he needed to stretch his legs and walked outside and down the street 500 metres to a Macdonalds, got a Big Mac, ate it on the walk back and rejoined dinner. He told his wife on the way home what he had done...funny.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A new pizza place has opened up, so I decided to be nice and give them a try

The diet really has no chance with me and Pizza...and beer. You know a place just does good pizza when you have a slice of your daughters ham and pineapple pizza ( that's what she has and i am happy because it isn't chicken nuggets) and it was really good. Few slices in the fridge for tomorrow, better not be any competition for them...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steve Gyldenvand said:

Rio Lobo, the local place I reported on earlier, has just announced their May pizza of the month, and it is a true Wisconsin pie. Beer/cheese sauce, with bratwurst, sauerkraut, and cheese curds. Soon as I get a chance, I will investigate and report. For the group, of course.

I think I looked the right place up, so it is only open like 3 days a week?

If so, that is great, the whole world needs to stop being 24/7 and more "yeah, I'm opening between this and this and if you don't like that, go somewhere else"

2 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

I think I looked the right place up, so it is only open like 3 days a week?

If so, that is great, the whole world needs to stop being 24/7 and more "yeah, I'm opening between this and this and if you don't like that, go somewhere else"

Yeah, that's the place. Summer months they'll add Thursday as well. They are there for people to come and enjoy a good beer, wine, or pizza. There's no TV, no jukebox, no pool table or video games, just extraordinarily friendly staff and lots of outgoing locals to chat with. My wife is a weekend night nurse at a hospital, which leaves me to my own devices Friday and Saturday evenings. Normally I do Rio Lobo on Friday, but I'm in the final stages of another bout with covid, and didn't feel up to it last night. If I test negative again today, though, I'll be there this evening for sure. 

IMG_3632.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

And it was back to Rio Lobo last night for another of their amazing brick oven, wood-fired pizzas. This time it was one that they first contrived earlier this year; red onions, mozzarella, rosemary and red sauce. I've never seen this combination anywhere else, which a cryin' shame, because it just...plain...works! Although we generally have a beer or three with our pizza, we were in a different mood, so we ordered a glass of their house Sabrevois; a delightfully fruity dry red, grown, pressed, and bottled all right there on the premises.

IMG_4807.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Steve Gyldenvand said:

And it was back to Rio Lobo last night for another of their amazing brick oven, wood-fired pizzas. This time it was one that they first contrived earlier this year; red onions, mozzarella, rosemary and red sauce. I've never seen this combination anywhere else, which a cryin' shame, because it just...plain...works! Although we generally have a beer or three with our pizza, we were in a different mood, so we ordered a glass of their house Sabrevois; a delightfully fruity dry red, grown, pressed, and bottled all right there on the premises.

IMG_4807.jpeg

Strange the things you notice first, my eye was caught by the condiment...chilli flakes, what a bloody good idea that is.

Pizza looks the goods and yes, that would work well. A glass or two of red with that is spot on.

• Upvote 1