Beer into Custom mode automatically?

Love a Beer

First time brewer here. Excited to get frst beer on. In the least 24 the Brewdroid has changed from Ale to to Custom mode automatically. Is this normal? Noting, that the misses could have bumped it, but all seems to be tracking well at the moment but I cant find any information about it online to see if this is a normal part of its fermentation testing?

IMG_0141.JPG

3 hours ago, Amos R said:

First time brewer here. Excited to get frst beer on. In the least 24 the Brewdroid has changed from Ale to to Custom mode automatically. Is this normal? Noting, that the misses could have bumped it, but all seems to be tracking well at the moment but I cant find any information about it online to see if this is a normal part of its fermentation testing?

IMG_0141.JPG

Hi Amos, Mark here and welcome to the forum and great brewing. Now a bit more info. 1) what are you brewing 2) did you program it manually or via the selecting the Brewprint choice. 3) you sure you selected ale originally. The 16C fermentation is not a worry anyway. 

ps the misses bumping the unit would not do that, good try ha ha.

Gday Mark thanks for the reply  - Yeah I tried to move the up and down button on the droid to see if it would change anything but it remained the same so yep cant blame the misses. 

Yeah interesting thing was I set the App to brewing the American Pale Ale from my shelf all directly through the app. All was going well I left for work and I got home and the temp display said "FT" or something like that. I did read somewhere that this was normal. The next morning that went away and was replaced with the actual temp and the setting "custom".  The app says its in fermentation mode, so I assume its live, so Im inclined to believe the app setting over the Droid LCD. Got me stumped. 

26 minutes ago, Amos R said:

Gday Mark thanks for the reply  - Yeah I tried to move the up and down button on the droid to see if it would change anything but it remained the same so yep cant blame the misses. 

Yeah interesting thing was I set the App to brewing the American Pale Ale from my shelf all directly through the app. All was going well I left for work and I got home and the temp display said "FT" or something like that. I did read somewhere that this was normal. The next morning that went away and was replaced with the actual temp and the setting "custom".  The app says its in fermentation mode, so I assume its live, so Im inclined to believe the app setting over the Droid LCD. Got me stumped. 

Hey mate, FE is it is checking for fermentation and end of fermentation. It will do this once a day at the same time for an hour and then it will say "Ready to keg", from day 6 onwards (ish) which is when you can put the hops in for a day or two, if you have the hop pouches with the brewkit. I'd leave it for two days and then keg or bottle. Do watch the 101 videos on how to keg or bottle, or if you have questions, fire them up on the forum.

Just quietly, I wouldn't be letting the missus off the hook just yet

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Amos R said:

The “FT” is normal, it’s the unit testing and does so every 24hrs. I’m at this stage a bit of a loss as to why the unit would go from ale to custom (will look further into it) however as you input the program via the app it may well be how that program is set up. Will inform further.

in any even your fermenting and all seams good, 16C is acceptable.

1 minute ago, Amos R said:

Ha Ha Thanks Rob. Im going through those videos as we speak - Ill keep educating myself. Cheers. 

If it makes you feel better, I have really, really stuffed up some brews ( and you will too) but even the ones I stuffed up turned out pretty good. I posted one from last week with a brew I made where I did everything wrong...and it was quite enjoyable

2 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

The “FT” is normal, it’s the unit testing and does so every 24hrs. I’m at this stage a bit of a loss as to why the unit would go from ale to custom (will look further into it) however as you input the program via the app it may well be how that program is set up. Will inform further.

in any even your fermenting and all seams good, 16C is acceptable.

Thanks Mark - As I look at it now, its at 18 degrees on the Droid LCD, all seems good at the moment. I am running the latest Firmware of P012. As I said it looks good from all accounts, App Showing 17.7 degrees so looks good from the fermenting perspective. Ill keep an eye on it and see if anything changes on the screen in the next few days.  Thanks Again. 

2 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

If it makes you feel better, I have really, really stuffed up some brews ( and you will too) but even the ones I stuffed up turned out pretty good. I posted one from last week with a brew I made where I did everything wrong...and it was quite enjoyable

Wow thats impressive. Well Ive talked up a big game at work - I have a lot riding on these to get it right!! Ive pretty much convinced everyone in my workplace this is the no brainer of brewing for time poor people like me. Im sure it will be good - just working my way through it, slowly but surely. i am pretty excited just quietly, Nothing like a good beer on tap. Cheers 

24 minutes ago, Amos R said:

Wow thats impressive. Well Ive talked up a big game at work - I have a lot riding on these to get it right!! Ive pretty much convinced everyone in my workplace this is the no brainer of brewing for time poor people like me. Im sure it will be good - just working my way through it, slowly but surely. i am pretty excited just quietly, Nothing like a good beer on tap. Cheers 

You will not be disappointed, these units are tops and the recipes exceptional. You’ll impress all at work but be warned, they’ll want more. Ha

27 minutes ago, Amos R said:

APA is a great brew, if you are bottling or using the Brewflo, then give it six weeks in secondary fermentation. You can drink at two weeks but it is better to give it another months time on top

Just now, Barrelboy said:

You will not be disappointed, these units are tops and the recipes exceptional. You’ll impress all at work but be warned, they’ll want more. Ha

Damn - maybe I need some more kegs to make the new batches I have coming in when all these brews kick off!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

APA is a great brew, if you are bottling or using the Brewflo, then give it six weeks in secondary fermentation. You can drink at two weeks but it is better to give it another months time on top

Awesome thanks for the advice. I have read some stories of it coming out early so I will give it extra time I f I can help it.....I may  get thirsty prior.....

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Amos R said:

Awesome thanks for the advice. I have read some stories of it coming out early so I will give it extra time I f I can help it.....I may  get thirsty prior.....

You have to test.

I always bottle half, keg half, that way you get an idea of how it improves as it ages. Lagers generally drink better younger and ales longer but it isn't a hard and fast rule. I will say the advice of give it two weeks secondary...was probably done by an alcoholic. It improves as it ages but it is good if you bottle half, to have a bottle each week to gain a knowledge of how it improves.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

You have to test.

I always bottle half, keg half, that way you get an idea of how it improves as it ages. Lagers generally drink better younger and ales longer but it isn't a hard and fast rule. I will say the advice of give it two weeks secondary...was probably done by an alcoholic. It improves as it ages but it is good if you bottle half, to have a bottle each week to gain a knowledge of how it improves.

Love it - Thanks for the hot tips, that is definetly a good way to do it and try it and see how it goes. Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help boys, Ok, Bang on 8 days later, Droid placed itself into Keg mode and all remained well. Still displayed CUSTOM mode, but all has ended well. Except for a few spills with the fitting of the keg liners onto the screw top - Really diffiult to get on straight and way too tight for my liking - Im trying to work out if I have an old and new liner or something? Just seems weird that the screw fittings are so awkward to put on! Anyway hope the beer tastes good in a few weeks time.

1 hour ago, Love a Beer said:

Thanks for the help boys, Ok, Bang on 8 days later, Droid placed itself into Keg mode and all remained well. Still displayed CUSTOM mode, but all has ended well. Except for a few spills with the fitting of the keg liners onto the screw top - Really diffiult to get on straight and way too tight for my liking - Im trying to work out if I have an old and new liner or something? Just seems weird that the screw fittings are so awkward to put on! Anyway hope the beer tastes good in a few weeks time.

Might do up a video and post it of putting the cap on the liner, it can be a bit awkward

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guy's

I think this is the right topic for my question? Will try to explain as best I can.

My first Brew in the Droid so go easy on me😊 Connected the Beerdroid to the app initially & updated the firmware. Seems to be a similar problem that @Love a Beer has had before. I am brewing the Birra Italiano which was started through the app no problems. Noticed that the Droid is currently in custom (photo attached & not sure if this was like this initial startup). Fermentation temp is staying around 12 degrees & now 2 days & 16hrs in. To make matters worse I have lost WiFi connection (dropped out at 16hrs approx.) I have a WiFi extender in the house which may have contributed to this but not sure.

I have also attached the current status of the app. on my phone. Seems to be keeping track of time in Brew but nothing else & not connected to the Droid.

Question

1. Will the Droid still advise when ready to Keg in the custom mode?

Please let me know if i need to supply any further info. Any advice from the Brewart Community would be much appreciated.

Cheers

BeerDroid.jpg

App.png

App1.png

App2.png

9 minutes ago, Senator said:

Hi Guy's

I think this is the right topic for my question? Will try to explain as best I can.

My first Brew in the Droid so go easy on me😊 Connected the Beerdroid to the app initially & updated the firmware. Seems to be a similar problem that @Love a Beer has had before. I am brewing the Birra Italiano which was started through the app no problems. Noticed that the Droid is currently in custom (photo attached & not sure if this was like this initial startup). Fermentation temp is staying around 12 degrees & now 2 days & 16hrs in. To make matters worse I have lost WiFi connection (dropped out at 16hrs approx.) I have a WiFi extender in the house which may have contributed to this but not sure.

I have also attached the current status of the app. on my phone. Seems to be keeping track of time in Brew but nothing else & not connected to the Droid.

Question

1. Will the Droid still advise when ready to Keg in the custom mode?

Please let me know if i need to supply any further info. Any advice from the Brewart Community would be much appreciated.

Cheers

BeerDroid.jpg

App.png

App1.png

App2.png

You have no worries, from your info and photos all is going well. Now if your app isn’t up and running, you will be told “ready to keg” on the droid screen, so all is good.

Cheers

Thanks Captain. That 2 posts you have helped me out with. And many more I would expect.

How many days roughly would be EOF for this Brewprint? Going on a houseboat on the 11th Jan. so would be nice to have Kegged for 2nd Fermentation before then.

Cheers

14 minutes ago, Senator said:

Thanks Captain. That 2 posts you have helped me out with. And many more I would expect.

How many days roughly would be EOF for this Brewprint? Going on a houseboat on the 11th Jan. so would be nice to have Kegged for 2nd Fermentation before then.

Cheers

Looking at my EOF records (done about 7 of this brew), you’ll be finished before you go away. Probably around 8 days fermentation total. Let us know how you end up.