Droid overflow

I kegged a Ruby Porter today. I'm actually super excited how this is going to turn out as the EoF taste is really good.

I added 95g maltodextrin to mix, and used Y7 instead of the Y4 that came with it. Why Y7 you ask? I'm not too sure, to be honest, but I can absolutely, positively tell you that it had nothing to do with me grabbing the wrong packet of yeast from the fridge. 🤫

Despite that, I'm looking forward to trying it in a couple of months, but I did notice the foam from fermentation had actually pushed out of the lid and congealed on back of the droid. A not inconsiderable amount, too. Has anyone else experienced this? I doubt it'll cause a problem for the beer but was curious what caused the excessive bubbling? Too much maltodextrin? The change in yeast?

1 hour ago, Will Powell said:

I kegged a Ruby Porter today. I'm actually super excited how this is going to turn out as the EoF taste is really good.

I added 95g maltodextrin to mix, and used Y7 instead of the Y4 that came with it. Why Y7 you ask? I'm not too sure, to be honest, but I can absolutely, positively tell you that it had nothing to do with me grabbing the wrong packet of yeast from the fridge. 🤫

Despite that, I'm looking forward to trying it in a couple of months, but I did notice the foam from fermentation had actually pushed out of the lid and congealed on back of the droid. A not inconsiderable amount, too. Has anyone else experienced this? I doubt it'll cause a problem for the beer but was curious what caused the excessive bubbling? Too much maltodextrin? The change in yeast?

Hi Will. You may know already that the droids are designed to allow for overflow. The Ruby Porter is noted for this so not an issue with ingredients. It’s a good sign of healthy fermentation activity ,strong krausen (foam/yeast) at the top although I’d rather not the clean up. Ha. Your change of yeast may have aided this as you went from a lager bottom feeding yeast to an ale yeast, top feeder. No harm in this change.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Hi Will. You may know already that the droids are designed to allow for overflow. The Ruby Porter is noted for this so not an issue with ingredients. It’s a good sign of healthy fermentation activity ,strong krausen (foam/yeast) at the top although I’d rather not the clean up. Ha. Your change of yeast may have aided this as you went from a lager bottom feeding yeast to an ale yeast, top feeder. No harm in this change.

Not only did I not know the droid was designed to do this, I also didn’t know about bottom feeders and top feeders. 

I thought those were kinds of fish.

Good info!

Back to google! 😂

Edited by Will Powell
  • Haha 1