Storing Bottles

Hi,  just about to bottle my first brew (Coopers XPA) in a day or 2. They say to store in a cool dry place about 14 degrees for minimum 2 weeks.

If you want to leave longer should they be refrigerated or just kept in cool dry place until ready to drink?

17 hours ago, Bert said:

Hi,  just about to bottle my first brew (Coopers XPA) in a day or 2. They say to store in a cool dry place about 14 degrees for minimum 2 weeks.

If you want to leave longer should they be refrigerated or just kept in cool dry place until ready to drink?

14C is too cool for carbonation to be effective. Store your bottles at around 18 to 20C, carbonation from the sugar drops will take about 2 weeks and you can chill and try one then. Once carbonated you should leave a bit longer for the brew to mature, 6 weeks is good however you don’t need to refrigerate until preparing to consume. Storage after the 2 weeks should be at general ambient temperature, not above 24C if you can help it.

Note, light is not good for beer so store in boxes, crates with newspaper on top, wardrobe etc.

Edited by Barrelboy

• 8 months later...
On 23/05/2020 at 12:13 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

14C is too cool for carbonation to be effective. Store your bottles at around 18 to 20C, carbonation from the sugar drops will take about 2 weeks and you can chill and try one then. Once carbonated you should leave a bit longer for the brew to mature, 6 weeks is good however you don’t need to refrigerate until preparing to consume. Storage after the 2 weeks should be at general ambient temperature, not above 24C if you can help it.

Note, light is not good for beer so store in boxes, crates with newspaper on top, wardrobe etc.

Captain, How about 16C? I have bottles spending the time around 16C. Will I get some fermentation and carbonation? Will it mean a longer wait or will I need to move to a warmer location? We are winter up here. I have 10 Liters of Weisbier in secondary right now. Cheers!

18 minutes ago, Commander Robo-Timo said:

Captain, How about 16C? I have bottles spending the time around 16C. Will I get some fermentation and carbonation? Will it mean a longer wait or will I need to move to a warmer location? We are winter up here. I have 10 Liters of Weisbier in secondary right now. Cheers!

16C will be ok Commander but it will take a bit longer to carbonate, 3 weeks would probably be the minimum. However if you intending to leave longer then no problems.

As a tip if you bottles are in boxes/crates put a jumper or the like over the top of the bottles and this will kelp to increase the bottle temperature. 
Kind regards

2 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

16C will be ok Commander but it will take a bit longer to carbonate, 3 weeks would probably be the minimum. However if you intending to leave longer then no problems.

As a tip if you bottles are in boxes/crates put a jumper or the like over the top of the bottles and this will kelp to increase the bottle temperature. 
Kind regards

Thanks, good idea. I'll find out what a jumper is and put that over the bottles. 🙂

I thought about covering them because I recall the process of fermentation produces alcohol, CO2, and heat. 

The big problem is I already finished my previous brewart brew and will be drinking commercial beer until this one finishes up. Time is not in my favor. I really need at least one more Droid or less people visiting me and drinking my stuff. Get your own Droid, dude. 

• Haha 1

Another droid is a must, a necessity of life.
I know your feeling about visitations, my adult sons drop in and in the same breath it’s “hi dad, what’s on tap?” 🙂. It is nice that others enjoy your beers and it’s good to have another point of view as to the brewed outcome however it does put pressure on replenishing stocks.

Commander Sir, a jumper is usually of knitted wool construction however other materials are used. Example below, what do you call them?

56F8E1C7-DDBB-4F7A-ABD7-0F4C0A10ABF7.jpeg.37c27861714832b72614f9f75636f181.jpeg

965E8C9A-230B-4FC2-BF6A-638CB59004D2.webp

15 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Another droid is a must, a necessity of life.
I know your feeling about visitations, my adult sons drop in and in the same breath it’s “hi dad, what’s on tap?” 🙂. It is nice that others enjoy your beers and it’s good to have another point of view as to the brewed outcome however it does put pressure on replenishing stocks.

Commander Sir, a jumper is usually of knitted wool construction however other materials are used. Example below, what do you call them?

56F8E1C7-DDBB-4F7A-ABD7-0F4C0A10ABF7.jpeg.37c27861714832b72614f9f75636f181.jpeg

965E8C9A-230B-4FC2-BF6A-638CB59004D2.webp 177.84 kB · 0 downloads

I got a good laugh out of your jumper definition, and picture.  We call them sweaters. Even they are out of fashion. Everybody seems to wear sweatshirts or hoodies now-a-days.

I've included images of jumpers and sweatshirts to complement your sweater image. 

sweatshirt.jpg

jumper.jpg

• Haha 1

On 20/02/2021 at 4:08 PM, Commander Robo-Timo said:

I got a good laugh out of your jumper definition, and picture.  We call them sweaters. Even they are out of fashion. Everybody seems to wear sweatshirts or hoodies now-a-days.

I've included images of jumpers and sweatshirts to complement your sweater image. 

sweatshirt.jpg

jumper.jpg

How sweet, look what my good wife did....jumper joy:

PXL_20210221_163824011.jpg

• Like 1