I am new at this having purchased a second hand unit. I have started off with US Chilled Larger .

it has been fermenting for 15 days now. Is that normal. Also the app keeps saying unable to detect fermentation yet the screen on the droid says fermentation.

should I start again or wait a few more days.

34 minutes ago, Brett Charsley said:

I am new at this having purchased a second hand unit. I have started off with US Chilled Larger .

it has been fermenting for 15 days now. Is that normal. Also the app keeps saying unable to detect fermentation yet the screen on the droid says fermentation.

should I start again or wait a few more days.

Hi Brett, Mark here and welcome to the forum. Lots of good help here.

Now the US Chiller Lager Brewprint states fermentation from 9 to 20 days. Although this is a general guide it does seem a bit long at 15 days. The fact that it states “unable to detect fermentation” is a worry as it suggests the brew has just been sitting there. 

Are you sure you added the yeast as the first ingredient into the 10l of water.

To check the possibility that fermentation has occurred slowly remove the lid (not if in Test Mode) and look for 3 things:-

1) is there condensation on the underside of the lid? 2) is the a ring of sediment (krausen) at the line of and above the brew level? 3) are there any small bubbles on the surface?

Slowly put lid back on and I will advise further when I receive your responses.

Cheers Mark 

Hi Mark

yes I put the yeast in the first.

i have done the check you suggested and there was condensation on the lid, there was the ring do sediment as well as bubbles on the surface.

the droid came with Ingredients  which Included the yeast. I would think the yeast were out of a fridge for a couple of weeks and thought this may have been the problem.

appreciate you help Mark

50 minutes ago, Brett Charsley said:

Hi Mark

yes I put the yeast in the first.

i have done the check you suggested and there was condensation on the lid, there was the ring do sediment as well as bubbles on the surface.

the droid came with Ingredients  which Included the yeast. I would think the yeast were out of a fridge for a couple of weeks and thought this may have been the problem.

appreciate you help Mark

The yeast out of the fridge for a couple of weeks will have lessened it’s strength so to speak, it kind of attacks itself. So the start of fermentation would have been quite slow, perhaps as much as 3- 4 days to really get going. ( always keep in the fridge)

The good thing is fermentation has/is happening. The bubbles on the surface would suggest a bit more to go. I leave for another day and see if after the next Droid Test Mode what it states if anything.
Let us know as your close to kegging/bottling.

1 hour ago, Brett Charsley said:

Hi Mark. We are still sitting in fermentation mode.. no change since Sunday

Mmm, are you bottling in glass or kegging for Beerflo? Do you have a hydrometer? If so take a reading.

in the meantime I’ll refer this to the BrewArt Tech.

@BrewArtTech, Hi Liam. Brett’s Droid has been in the fermentation mode for 20days now with a US Chiller lager. The yeast may have been a bit suspect. Could you please advise as don’t want to suggest bottling. Thanks Mark

1 minute ago, Brett Charsley said:

I will be kegging  into two 5L kegs I don’t have a hydrometer but can go and buy one 

Hopefully will hear from Tech soon however it is good to have a hydrometer and you could confidently confirm end of fermentation. So I’d go get one. If you don’t know how to use it ask at brew shop or here.

Cheers Mark.