Bottling Fill Level

Hello All,

I am using the BrewArt plastic bottles for bottling. Because they are plastic is it considered safe to fill to overflowing so as to remove as much air as possible. I once did this in a glass bottle and it exploded. So I am a tad concerned to do that again. I am leaving around 1/2 inch from top but I also know that air is a beers worse friend.

The reason I ask is my first two brews Coopers  XPA and Narci-Citrus weren’t that good. The pour, color and carbonation was very good. Not much of a smell but the real issue was the taste. I got a sort of odd back end taste, kind of like a when you drink a Diet Coke. Both are very bitter also. The Narci-Citrus has a lot of E5 which look like it could be overkill. I do not think the 1/2 inch of air really is causing a problem and don’t not think it affected the taste at all but was wondering.

Any thoughts?

Alan

Narci-Citrus

C0819F0E-D555-4B7F-847E-D88E9CEEAC88.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Hello All,

I am using the BrewArt plastic bottles for bottling. Because they are plastic is it considered safe to fill to overflowing so as to remove as much air as possible. I once did this in a glass bottle and it exploded. So I am a tad concerned to do that again. I am leaving around 1/2 inch from top but I also know that air is a beers worse friend.

The reason I ask is my first two brews Coopers  XPA and Narci-Citrus weren’t that good. The pour, color and carbonation was very good. Not much of a smell but the real issue was the taste. I got a sort of odd back end taste, kind of like a when you drink a Diet Coke. Both are very bitter also. The Narci-Citrus has a lot of E5 which look like it could be overkill. I do not think the 1/2 inch of air really is causing a problem and don’t not think it affected the taste at all but was wondering.

Any thoughts?

Alan

Narci-Citrus

C0819F0E-D555-4B7F-847E-D88E9CEEAC88.jpeg

I fill bottles to when they are just about to over flow and when you remove the filler tube the space left is ideal. 1/2 to 3/4 inch is just fine. I agree the air in the bottle should not have effected the taste. I am not a supporter of dextrose (E5) it’s really just an alcohol % booster and I leave out or substitute with X1.

Generally an exploding glass bottle can be down to 3 things:- 

. fermentation not complete

. infection

. fault in the bottle eg hair line crack

Cheers Mark

Ps nice looking drop

Hi Mark, exploding bottle was because I filled too much beer and when it carbonated it was too much for the glass. 🤪

X5 is the alcohol enhancer, E5 looks like it is a moderate bittering agent and the Narci has load of packets. This might be too much. 

A thought I just had is the carbonation drops. Are these artificial sweetener and the cause of the odd back end taste. I normally use plain sugar and wonder if these carb drops are not ideal.

Alan

Mark the exploding bottle was Many years ago when I had my old system PicoBrew. Since then I generally leave more space than perhaps I should. Sounds like filling near the top like you said is good. I think I am a little lower than that. Next time I will fill a little more.

I plan on the next bottling to use some with drops and some with sugar to see if there is a difference. My water is always distilled so this shouldn’t be the issue.

I am starting to think the E5 is the culprit, it’s a moderate to high bitter and the Narci has a lot, I think 4 packets. I did try it a little early, around 14 days in secondary. Maybe an extra 30 days to see if it calms down.

Perhaps you Aussie’s like a much stronger bitter experience than I’m used too 🤪

I bottled the version of the pineapple crush switching it to mango and only 2 E5’s. The taste during bottling was a lot milder. I have high hopes for this beer.

I just dumbed the Narci down a little with a shot of mango juice, seems milder now.

alan

Your right, Aussies in general like a bitter brew (at least us older one) however craft style hopped brews are now the go particularly with the younger set. The number of craft micro brewers in Australia Is quite huge but sadly the virus implications have closed a few.

Yes the Nacri has 5 x E5 and personally wouldn’t/haven’t  brewed it because of this. It is really only providing 5% of the 7.5% brew. I blame dextrose for that “twang” complaint many have with home brew kit and kilo recipes.

The mango add to the Nacri is a good idea.