Closed transfer

Brad Neil

Hi all,

I've decided to buy a 9.5l corny keg so i can use c02 to carbonate. I'm wanting to use the set and forget method (12 psi) and leave in the fridge for about a week so i don't run the risk of over carbonation.

Is there a way you can do a closed transfer to keep out as much 02 as possible?

Also any tips you can give would be appreciated since this is my first brew.

Cheers

Greetings Neil, I’ve downloaded a video by Ikegger that shows one way of doing this. Although the kegs are different (mainly lid set up) the principle is exactly the same. https://youtu.be/ySvrF7KyvVU

What Co2 and pouring method are you going to use as 12psi could be a bit high.

Cheers, Mark

Edited by Captain 3 Droids

Thanks Mark,

I did see this video but being a different keg and my first time i though i would confirm with the experts.

Also in the video he didn't mention it but it looked like once he started the transfer he added a conector to the gas inlet side of the keg. I haven't seen that done on any other vido. 

I'm also going to use a tap mounted on my bar about 1 meter away.

I've got 4Id beer line running through a 20mm insulated conduit witha a fan in the fridge to encourage air flow.

I was planning on having a meter loop inside the fridge so it will be a total of 2m.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers Brad.

10 minutes ago, Brad Neil said:

Thanks Mark,

I did see this video but being a different keg and my first time i though i would confirm with the experts.

Also in the video he didn't mention it but it looked like once he started the transfer he added a conector to the gas inlet side of the keg. I haven't seen that done on any other vido. 

I'm also going to use a tap mounted on my bar about 1 meter away.

I've got 4Id beer line running through a 20mm insulated conduit witha a fan in the fridge to encourage air flow.

I was planning on having a meter loop inside the fridge so it will be a total of 2m.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers Brad.

Yes you have to release the gas otherwise it will not fill (the beer will then replace the Co2). You can either just put on a gas disconnected or open the pressure release valve.(probably why not noted on other video’s)

With your set up 12psi should be fine. I also use 4mm id beer line to a tap in the fridge door.