Brewflo not cooling at all or measuring keg level correctly

Glen Rycroft

Hi all,

After 4 weeks of secondary fermentation I was excited to try my first ever keg. On Friday evening I reset the keg level indicator per the instructions, then placed my keg into the unit however it only registered as half full.  Regardless I set the desired temperature to 4C and left overnight.  It sounded like it was certainly cooling as the unit made a lot of noise (not excessive) and the LCD display indicated that it was cooling to 4C.

At midday on Saturday when I went to connect the lines to the keg I noticed that the keg was at room temperature and hadn't cooled at all.  As I was keen to try my beer I placed it into the fridge for 6 hours and then reconnected to the Brewflow.  I only got several glasses of head for my attempted pours.  Figuring it maybe needed more chilling I left the keg in the unit overnight, but this morning my keg is once again at room temperature.

I fear I have received a defective unit that is not capable of cooling or measuring keg levels correctly.  I have contacted support this morning via the webform and will await their response.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers.

Glen

5 hours ago, Glen Rycroft said:

Hi all,

After 4 weeks of secondary fermentation I was excited to try my first ever keg. On Friday evening I reset the keg level indicator per the instructions, then placed my keg into the unit however it only registered as half full.  Regardless I set the desired temperature to 4C and left overnight.  It sounded like it was certainly cooling as the unit made a lot of noise (not excessive) and the LCD display indicated that it was cooling to 4C.

At midday on Saturday when I went to connect the lines to the keg I noticed that the keg was at room temperature and hadn't cooled at all.  As I was keen to try my beer I placed it into the fridge for 6 hours and then reconnected to the Brewflow.  I only got several glasses of head for my attempted pours.  Figuring it maybe needed more chilling I left the keg in the unit overnight, but this morning my keg is once again at room temperature.

I fear I have received a defective unit that is not capable of cooling or measuring keg levels correctly.  I have contacted support this morning via the webform and will await their response.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers.

Glen

Yeah sounds like an issue with the Brewflo. With mine, when it is switched on, even after 30 mins, you can feel the walls of the unit (inside) and it is cold to the touch. It does take about 12 hours to cool down to 4 degrees ( the beer). Think you are going to have to wait until tomorrow to get this sorted

• Upvote 2

Thanks Rob, figured as much.

Very frustrating after waiting for the BeerDroid to be delivered (ordered during Father's day sale and had to wait for more units to be manufactured), then brewing and conditioning first beer only to be met with this.  Hopefully will get a positive outcome.  Silver lining I guess is the other 5 kegs (soon to be 7) will have longer to condition and hopefully taste better.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Glen Rycroft said:

Thanks Rob, figured as much.

Very frustrating after waiting for the BeerDroid to be delivered (ordered during Father's day sale and had to wait for more units to be manufactured), then brewing and conditioning first beer only to be met with this.  Hopefully will get a positive outcome.  Silver lining I guess is the other 5 kegs (soon to be 7) will have longer to condition and hopefully taste better.

Really good way to look at it

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

My replacement unit arrived this week and I connected a keg and have been enjoying perfect pours with it.

Today the first keg ran out and I have put another one in that has been sitting in the fridge for over 20 hours so was nice and chilled.  However every pour I attempt is coming out mostly head with very little beer.

Is there something fundamental which I am doing wrong??

11 minutes ago, Glen Rycroft said:

My replacement unit arrived this week and I connected a keg and have been enjoying perfect pours with it.

Today the first keg ran out and I have put another one in that has been sitting in the fridge for over 20 hours so was nice and chilled.  However every pour I attempt is coming out mostly head with very little beer.

Is there something fundamental which I am doing wrong??

J found the kegs are pretty unforgiving of movement and need to sit a while after movement. You can try taking the air line out for a couple of pours, that tends to cut back on the head. Hope that works for you

• 2 years later...