Secondary Fermentation - High Temp

John R

Hi everyone,

First time brewer here, got my first batch in the BeerDroid now! I will be bottling when completed.

I live in Far North Queensland, and it's summer. The ambient room temperature in my house is currently fluctuating between 28-30 degrees most days. I'm a bit worried about the secondary fermentation at this temperature. Does anyone have any experience bottling at these temps?

Thanks,

John

43 minutes ago, John R said:

Hi everyone,

First time brewer here, got my first batch in the BeerDroid now! I will be bottling when completed.

I live in Far North Queensland, and it's summer. The ambient room temperature in my house is currently fluctuating between 28-30 degrees most days. I'm a bit worried about the secondary fermentation at this temperature. Does anyone have any experience bottling at these temps?

Thanks,

John

Welcome to the forum John, good mob here and help. When I was bottling ambient temps here in Adelaide often over 30 and worst during heatwaves (common in summer). Just keep them out of the light, in boxes or milk crates with a newspaper over the top. Some put them in wardrobes. Keep them low if you can as heat rises.

However in reality I’ve never really been concerned or had any detrimental effects. When you think about it bottles, cans, kegs are sitting on delivery trucks for hours in searing heat, sit for hours outside bottle shops before going in the cool room etc.

Cheers, Mark 

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, awesome quick reply!

I think I've got a good spot to put the bottles, in an enclosed cabinet in the coldest part of the house. I suppose I'll just give it a whirl and see how it goes! Your info has certainly put me at ease though, and you have a good point about bottleshop/pub beer storage.

Cheers,
John

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, John R said:

Thanks Mark, awesome quick reply!

I think I've got a good spot to put the bottles, in an enclosed cabinet in the coldest part of the house. I suppose I'll just give it a whirl and see how it goes! Your info has certainly put me at ease though, and you have a good point about bottleshop/pub beer storage.

Cheers,
John

Out of interest what did you brew and what styles do you prefer? 

Just now, Captain 3 Droids said:

Out of interest what did you brew and what styles do you prefer? 

Started out with something that sounds quite "easy drinking", the Top End Lager. Next up will be Tea Party Lager (I'm originally from New England USA, so Sam Adams is kinda like a taste of home), then I've got the American Pale Ale. I like just about anything that's got "Beer" on the label, so I'm easy to please! But if I had to pick a favourite style, it'd probably be a pale ale/IPA.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, John R said:

Started out with something that sounds quite "easy drinking", the Top End Lager. Next up will be Tea Party Lager (I'm originally from New England USA, so Sam Adams is kinda like a taste of home), then I've got the American Pale Ale. I like just about anything that's got "Beer" on the label, so I'm easy to please! But if I had to pick a favourite style, it'd probably be a pale ale/IPA.

Let us know how the Top End Lager turns out, haven’t done that one yet.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/12/2020 at 9:41 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Let us know how the Top End Lager turns out, haven’t done that one yet.

So, Top End Lager after 3 weeks secondary in bottles, is a nice easy-drinking lager. At 2 weeks it tasted a bit “green”, and not enough carbonation yet. I will be trying again at 4 weeks, but I reckon this one is good to drink from 3 weeks on. 

If you’re after a nice refreshing, light tasting lager, this one fits the bill!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, John R said:

So, Top End Lager after 3 weeks secondary in bottles, is a nice easy-drinking lager. At 2 weeks it tasted a bit “green”, and not enough carbonation yet. I will be trying again at 4 weeks, but I reckon this one is good to drink from 3 weeks on. 

Thanks John, haven’t brewed it before so will give it a go.

1 hour ago, John R said:

Brilliant, i have looked at that one a few times and after 2 and a half years, still not got around to it. May have to bypass a Neder lager (cause it has a Y8) and give this one a go. Be great to knock back 8 or more pints and not wake up at 4 am thinkig "man, this is going to be a killer hangover"