Has anyone experimented with Carboy and BP

Andy

Just having dumped an ikegger’s worth of GOAT down the drain due to infection, now having an empty keg, and my only droid brewing Juleberg.  Thinking about kicking off a brewprint Ruby Porter in a Carboy that I have. Think I can easily manage temperature between our basement  and laundry room as it’s winter.  Anyone any experience or tips with trying this?

Edited by Andy

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Just having dumped an ikegger’s worth of GOAT down the drain due to infection, now having an empty keg, and my only droid brewing Juleberg.  Thinking about kicking off a brewprint Ruby Porter in a Carboy that I have. Think I can easily manage temperature between our basement  and laundry room as it’s winter.  Anyone any experience or tips with trying this?

Sorry to here about the GOAT ( assume it smelt?).  What size is the carboy? The reason I ask is that the Ruby Porter can be very active so you may need a bung and “blow off” tube into a container with sanitiser.

The one thing about carboys I don’t like is having to keg from them, generally a siphon set up is required.

Cheers, Mark 

Edited by Captain 3 Droids

10 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Sorry to here about the GOAT ( assume it smelt?).  What size is the carboy? The reason I ask is that the Ruby Porter can be very active so you may need a bung and “blow off” tube into a container with sanitiser.

The one thing about carboys I don’t like is having to keg from them, generally a siphon set up is required.

Cheers, Mark 

Hello Mark

The Carboy I have is 5 gal conical and actually has a tap on it so will be easy to keg.  The only difference I can determine from a droid is temperature management so may have to move it between cold and warm room for Ruby Porter.   Just checking to see if anything else I might need to check.  I have a devise called TILT that floats in the wort and via Bluetooth transmits temperature and specific gravity.  When S.G. Flat lines, fermentation is complete so going to try it.

Thanks

• Thanks 1