Pineapple Ale a little “trubby”

Andy

Brewed the Pineapple Ale about 3 weeks ago and all went well as per brewprint.  Kegged in 10L ikegger and put on CO2 almost immediately and refrigerated 1 week.  Taste after one week was frankly terrible.  Not infected but smelled and tasted like the trub in the bottom of the droid after brewing.  Tried pouring off a pitchers worth and still trub taste.   I’m fairly certain that only a minimal amount of trub carried over during kegging as cleared flow from droid tap initially and stopped clean.

I thought this one may end up in the drain like my infected GOAT but thankfully patience prevailed.  Poured a glass for New Years 2 weeks later and it was clean, pineapple tart, and wonderful.  Based on your experience brewing, do all brews just need several weeks to mellow?  Based on research on this site, knew the darker complex Brews benefited greatly from aging but really thought the lighter IPAs would be good to go in a week.  Anything else possibly happening with time like settling?  I use a float on the end of my internal keg suction line so it draws about 5 cm from the fluid top.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Brewed the Pineapple Ale about 3 weeks ago and all went well as per brewprint.  Kegged in 10L ikegger and put on CO2 almost immediately and refrigerated 1 week.  Taste after one week was frankly terrible.  Not infected but smelled and tasted like the trub in the bottom of the droid after brewing.  Tried pouring off a pitchers worth and still trub taste.   I’m fairly certain that only a minimal amount of trub carried over during kegging as cleared flow from droid tap initially and stopped clean.

I thought this one may end up in the drain like my infected GOAT but thankfully patience prevailed.  Poured a glass for New Years 2 weeks later and it was clean, pineapple tart, and wonderful.  Based on your experience brewing, do all brews just need several weeks to mellow?  Based on research on this site, knew the darker complex Brews benefited greatly from aging but really thought the lighter IPAs would be good to go in a week.  Anything else possibly happening with time like settling?  I use a float on the end of my internal keg suction line so it draws about 5 cm from the fluid top.

Thanks

One week is certainly not enough time for maturity and the settling of trub, particularly with ales and high alcohol brews.

There are quite a few lagers that are quite ok early, 2 weeks + however the longer you can leave generally the better.

Cheers

In the main forum headings under “Brewflo General” have a look at “Best time to drink a Keg”. Although the reference is to the Brewflo kegs the principles still apply. Also I’ve commented elsewhere that carbonation by co2 gas does IMO allow for earlier consumption vs carbonation by sugar type primers. Like most things we eat and drink it is the personal preference that counts however sampling at various intervals does help in deciding when is best for a particular brew.

3 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

In the main forum headings under “Brewflo General” have a look at “Best time to drink a Keg”. Although the reference is to the Brewflo kegs the principles still apply. Also I’ve commented elsewhere that carbonation by co2 gas does IMO allow for earlier consumption vs carbonation by sugar type primers. Like most things we eat and drink it is the personal preference that counts however sampling at various intervals does help in deciding when is best for a particular brew.

Great advise...thanks again