Fermentation Temperature

Hi all,

this my first time brewing so I’m new at this.

I’m day 6 into a coopers pale ale and my temperature is always below the target temperature of 18c, it’s generally between 16.5 - 17.5. My phone ap says it’s within limits.

so my question is: should I raise my temperature to 19c to get it closer to 18c, or just leave it alone and let it do it’s thing without interference.

thanks,

ian

3 hours ago, Ian Brady said:

Hi all,

I’m day 6 into a coopers pale ale and my temperature is always below the target temperature of 18c, it’s generally between 16.5 - 17.5. My phone ap says it’s within limits.

so my question is: should I raise my temperature to 19c to get it closer to 18c, or just leave it alone and let it do it’s thing without interference.

thanks,

ian

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum. Lot of help and information here and we are all friendly.

The fermentation temperature for an ale is set at 17C. So when the temperature hits 18C it will cool down to 16C. The unit works on a 2 degree swing whilst fermenting, 16C through to 18C. When fermentation is complete the unit will put it into “ready to keg” mode and bring the temperature up to 18C.

So from what you say your unit is working fine, the temperatures are within the limits and are where they are as fermentation is coming to an end therefore less heat being generated.

All is good, let us know how it turns out. Bottling or kegging?

Cheers

• Thanks 1

G’day Captain 3 Droids,

Thanks for the information. The temperature is now up to 18.7, so it’s bouncing up and down a bit, but at least it’s within the limits, so I’ll leave it alone.

once it’s ready, my plan is to transfer it into a CO2 carbonated 10lt keg.

cheers

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ian Brady said:

Hi all,

thanks,

ian

Hi Ian, best thing is just to leave it alone whilst it is doing its thing. I mean i is hard not to dabble and god knows we all give in at one time or another but after we did, the same thought goes through your head "probably should have just let it go" :)

Coopers Pale is a good brew and one that you can really muck around with hops combos to get some different tastes

• Upvote 1

Thanks Rob, I agree, and I’ve left it alone.

The good news is, the ap told me this afternoon to add the hops, which I’ve done, so everything seems to be ticking over nicely.

im guessing it’ll now tell me in about 4 days to keg it.

All good, thanks for the advice.

Ian

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Ian Brady said:

Thanks Rob, I agree, and I’ve left it alone.

The good news is, the ap told me this afternoon to add the hops, which I’ve done, so everything seems to be ticking over nicely.

im guessing it’ll now tell me in about 4 days to keg it.

All good, thanks for the advice.

Ian

Yeah, should be a couple of days, then it goes to storage for a couple of days 4 degrees and then it will go to Readt to keg