Smoked Beer

I do like a smoked porter or dark ale. The local craft brewery does a great smoked Porter. I just bottled the Ruby Porter on the weekend got me thinking. As I have a smoker and love smoking meat and cheese. So I started looking into this. Apparently there are two ways of doing this. Putting the malt spread out in a tray . Then cold smoke , in the smoker, or you add liquid smoke extract in the droid. Not a big fan of liquid smoked cheese. Real smoke cheese has a way better natural taste. Any thoughts, ideas or advice 

19 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

I do like a smoked porter or dark ale. The local craft brewery does a great smoked Porter. I just bottled the Ruby Porter on the weekend got me thinking. As I have a smoker and love smoking meat and cheese. So I started looking into this. Apparently there are two ways of doing this. Putting the malt spread out in a tray . Then cold smoke , in the smoker, or you add liquid smoke extract in the droid. Not a big fan of liquid smoked cheese. Real smoke cheese has a way better natural taste. Any thoughts, ideas or advice 

I would go with cold smoking the malt. You can never know what's in the liquid smoke. I believe they originally invented liquid smoke in the USA because it was a cheaper and quicker way to smoke sausage, bacon etc in large quantities. You can tell the difference.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

agree with cold smoking the malts over liquid smoke.

I guess you're chasing the german "RauchBier" style?  

Good luck and would be super curious how you go.... 

probably worth mentioning meticulously avoiding contamination when handling malts near meat residues?